Racism at OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just asking but how was their "free speech" violated? They chanted right? Nobody stopped them. Nobody said they couldn't sing the chant. So they chanted. There was no violation of their right to free speech.

There is some aftermath of them exercising their free speech. But that's not a violation, or denial of a right, that a repercussion of free speech.

If you exercise your right to free speech, which they did, then you better be ready for a reaction....which they weren't.

A university that takes government money becomes a state actor under established First Amendment doctrine, and universities are a classic public forum. By expelling them, Boren punished them for their viewpoint, which is impermissible. Further, the speed with which everything has gone down raises serious due process questions; I highly doubt that the fraternity, or any of its members, had the opportunity to have a hearing before a neutral arbitor.

I don't know that anybody will actually bring suit--they're definitely not sympathetic plaintiffs--but if they could get a fair hearing, I'd lay odds on them.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, if it had been something as simple as that, I think they probably could've gotten away with kicking out a few members, but when the lyrics include "you can hang them from the trees," you've just hit another level of asshattery altogether--and you shouldn't be surprised when you get your ass kicked hard enough that you end up wearing it for a hat.

Exactly. I support free speech, but they have crossed a line that shouldn't be crossed at all. They earned that expulsion.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A university that takes government money becomes a state actor under established First Amendment doctrine, and universities are a classic public forum. By expelling them, Boren punished them for their viewpoint, which is impermissible. Further, the speed with which everything has gone down raises serious due process questions; I highly doubt that the fraternity, or any of its members, had the opportunity to have a hearing before a neutral arbitor.

I don't know that anybody will actually bring suit--they're definitely not sympathetic plaintiffs--but if they could get a fair hearing, I'd lay odds on them.
Your remarks are being ignored in this thread. You're a real lawyer and you aren't a racist. As a real Lawyer who isn't a racist, shouldn't you recuse yourself from this conversation? I mean, I just don't think we want your opinion, man.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your remarks are being ignored in this thread. You're a real lawyer and you aren't a racist. As a real Lawyer who isn't a racist, shouldn't you recuse yourself from this conversation? I mean, I just don't think we want your opinion, man.

Shut him down bad ass, you da man!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

To be entirely accurate, I won't be a lawyer until I pass the bar and am sworn in.

Results come out April 3.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should Google Boley Oklahoma.

There ain't nothing wrong with free speech. The problem isn't about them exercising free speech. They aint being punished for exercising free speech. They were not protesting or debating or chanting about some wrong, they were singing a song about hanging blacks from a tree.

They are being ridiculed, suspended, expelled and ostracized because they got drunk, ran their collective mouths and now have to stand in judgment by Oklahomans and our public opinion. It's a deserved judgment IMO.

They brought shame, insult and ridicule to all Okies. We ain't Mississippi, Georgia or Alabama. No sir, you are wrong. This ain't about defending free speech, this is defending stupidity. Of which there is no defence.

One of the very few good post in this thread. Not liking blacks is one thing, but they went off the deep end.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be entirely accurate, I won't be a lawyer until I pass the bar and am sworn in.

Results come out April 3.
Ahh... Still young and idealistic. You sound like an old established civil rights guy. Keep rolling would be my opinion. You'll wind-up broke and disheveled like William Kunsler, but you only go around once.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh... Still young and idealistic. You sound like an old established civil rights guy. Keep rolling would be my opinion. You'll wind-up broke and disheveled like William Kunsler, but you only go around once.

I'm sure he will sell out to the man eventually, it's the American way. Being young and idealistic is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills. LOL, I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom