Random stuff you have repaired.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a fire on my place a few weeks ago. While plowing a fire break, some burning leaves blew up onto my floor board/platform and wouldn’t you know it, they burned my wiring harness and the tractor died. Fortunately it was in an area that it wasn’t at risk of burning. I finally got back over to work on it yesterday. After 2 hrs of pulling melted wires apart, cutting and splicing them, I got it up and running again right at dark last night. I covered the splices with liquid tape today, then covered it with flex tubing. Also added a hidden kill switch for added security.

View attachment 462360
Awesome job!
I've used those butt connectors all of my life until recently.
There is a new product out there, (from china of course) that is amazing.
You insert the bare wires, use a heat gun to release the solder and it's also heat shrink that is 3X.

This is a small pack in the link. I bought the 600 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/TICONN-Conne...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is actually what I wanted to use. Problem was that my tractor was sitting 1/2 mile away, in the woods. It is hydrostat drive so I had to repair it where it sat. No access to a heat gun out there.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is actually what I wanted to use. Problem was that my tractor was sitting 1/2 mile away, in the woods. It is hydrostat drive so I had to repair it where it sat. No access to a heat gun out there.
Cigarette lighter, propane or butane torch, etc., will melt those, but maybe not something you want to be using out in a field. Don't get as neat a joint, either. But doable if you're desperate. :)

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is part of the frame to a Corvette powered convertible top. One side of a yoke broke off after the connecting pin lost its retainer and moved to one side. It then put a side load on one side of the yoke and broke it off. I milled some parts and made a new pin,
corvette (19).JPG
now the top works. Parts for these tops are not sold by the piece, you have to buy a complete top. I saved the owner $1300 plus labor.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is part of the frame to a Corvette powered convertible top. One side of a yoke broke off after the connecting pin lost its retainer and moved to one side. It then put a side load on one side of the yoke and broke it off. I milled some parts and made a new pin,View attachment 462385 now the top works. Parts for these tops are not sold by the piece, you have to buy a complete top. I saved the owner $1300 plus labor.
I do not now, nor have I ever owned a convertible Vette. But I've hated that none of the manufacturers make stuff for people to keep their boats, cars, tools, and everything else working. VERY Nice Work!

cwheatley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not now, nor have I ever owned a convertible Vette. But I've hated that none of the manufacturers make stuff for people to keep their boats, cars, tools, and everything else working. VERY Nice Work!
Planned obsolescence - scummy business practice but seems to be universal across all industries these days. You always hear people saying "they don't make things like they used to." I know part of that is survivorship bias but it's so true that companies these days make things intentionally crappy and double down by limiting the ability of the consumer to repair it.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pulled the small green handle off the new flex head and put an older larger black handle back on. The green will be used on a new FCF72 compact 3/8 to make a custom 3/8 flex head stubby.

One call to snap on got me all new internals for the round heads, easy installs too.

A $11 order on eBay got me a new old stock rebuild kit for the USA made craftsman 3/8. Just ordered one for my 1/4” too.

IMG_3086.jpeg

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pulled the small green handle off the new flex head and put an older larger black handle back on. The green will be used on a new FCF72 compact 3/8 to make a custom 3/8 flex head stubby.

One call to snap on got me all new internals for the round heads, easy installs too.

A $11 order on eBay got me a new old stock rebuild kit for the USA made craftsman 3/8. Just ordered one for my 1/4” too.

View attachment 462854
Let us know how the rebuild kit from eBay works out and maybe a link to the specific item. I bought a couple cheap Chinese rebuild kits from eBay and was not pleased with the results. They were very “sloppy” or loose feeling. Yeah, they worked okay but I am always worried that when I put a load on them they will slip or fail. These were bad enough that I almost reused the old internals.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cigarette lighter, propane or butane torch, etc., will melt those, but maybe not something you want to be using out in a field. Don't get as neat a joint, either. But doable if you're desperate. :)
Or you could use a butane-powered soldering iron. Mine (a Bernz-O-Matic, IIRC) includes a curved shield that's super handy for heating heat shrink tubing. I don't recall it being particularly spendy, and it's a heck of a lot more convenient than dragging an extension cord across the garage or driveway to do repairs on automotive wiring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom