Really? First the Shield, Now the XDs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad my XD's are the older series before the XDM came out. I have never had a single issue with those, even after ton's of rounds.

These manufacturing issues aren't just happening in guns here lately. I have noticed a dramatic nosedive in quality over the past few years on many things. For example, we build pressure vessels & we have had more material issues in the past 2-3yrs than I have ever seen. And it's things like not passing NDE inspections due to quality of the metal itself. not a good sign when you notice quality dropping across the board for a different variety of goods.

Buying all that high quality steel (and all the other high quality goods) out of China.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buying all that high quality steel (and all the other high quality goods) out of China.

That is the thing though, it's not just China materials, matter of fact we have numerous customers who require domestic materials only & we are still having the similar issues. I have come to expect subpar stuff that is imported but it's starting to infect domestic materials as well. Then add that up to quality control in some of the suppliers & it's pretty bad.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the thing though, it's not just China materials, matter of fact we have numerous customers who require domestic materials only & we are still having the similar issues. I have come to expect subpar stuff that is imported but it's starting to infect domestic materials as well. Then add that up to quality control in some of the suppliers & it's pretty bad.

Companies are trying to stretch the allmighty dollar to make a better profit margin. Buying cheap does just that. . . a lot of times they just cut the workforce but with numbers so bad as it is the country is nearly at a full on revolt stage. Can you imagine what would happen if another housing bubble were to pop tomorrow? I can see a guy who resembles the president strung from the Washington monument or other tall place.

All I can say on the recalls is it's better for them to fix the problem than to deny a problem ever existed. Like certain other plastic pistol manufacturer's.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably like yourself, nothing I read specified as to what kind of box or case to ship the handgun in, so I placed a call to their 800 number. Now, I guess we'll see if I get an answer back.

I'd almost rather ship back in a separate box so I don't have to find a place to keep all the manuals and accessories until the weapon is returned.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw this today that shows how you can visually see if an affected xd-s has been retrofitted.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/12/11/update-springfield-armory-xd-s-recall/

To distinguish whether an XD-S has received the upgrade, simply inspect the outside of the grip safety without disassembling the gun. Pistols that have received the upgrade have a visible roll pin on the left and right side of the grip safety.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/12/11/update-springfield-armory-xd-s-recall/#ixzz2nZ8Jw3G5

springfield_armory_xds_recall_update_F.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've yet to send mine in, however I operate my gun in safe manner so that negates the "issue." Still have yet to see someone reproduce the issue when using the gun how it was intended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom