Rechamber or Rebarrel Price difference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I haven't seen it answered, a rechamber on a quality barrel will always be less expensive than getting a new barrel of equal quality (even a prefit). This includes doing a Remage conversion.

The only way I'd ever buy a take-off barrel from somebody is if I knew them well. The ratio of junk to good examples increases significantly.

Now, the barrel nut conversion allows you to perform this stuff on your own at home (a huge plus). However, you'll need a good vice, action bar, torque wrench (don't cheap out) and/or nut wrench and headspace gauges to do it properly. If you don't have those on hand, you might want to figure that into the cost of the first conversion at least.

Taking a good quality barrel to a good quality gunsmith for nothing more than a rechamber should not cost you more than a couple hundred dollars, and that includes everything.

Best of luck.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had a barrel replaced at a gunsmith and only have used barrel nuts. Barrel vice I got for around $100. go / no go / field gauge around $150. Barrel nut tool from barrel manufacture goes for around 30 to 50 bucks. Torque wrench if you don’t have one can be rented at an auto part store. I’m betting you know someone that has one you can use.

I have done all my first barrel swaps for around 800 to 1k. I use button rifling preferred barrels. Preferred barrels comes with a warrant. The best part is when I done my second and third barrel. I had all the tools to do the job. The only cost was the barrel and the 6 to 8 week wait time. now you just have to determine if you want hammer forged, button pulled or single point rifling.

now you have built you own rifle and you know your rifle better. Plus when people ask who built your rifle you can say I did. Yes that comes with the good and the bad.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What diggler said

Call a gunsmith and ASK how much.
If you are looking at buying a barrel blank, having it contoured, blued, chambered, and fit, break out your wallet.

A rechamber of an existing rifle with a good barrel, is going to be the most economical. Pick an existing, common cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom