Recommendations for a kids 22lr.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concur with all of the above.

Small or adjustable is a must. Nothing is more frustrating than a stock or length of pull too long.

I started with a Winchester M-62 pump. Papa's rifle, loved that gun. Started my sons on Daisy's, they became the Cricket. Oldest still uses his. Started his kids on it.

Not a fan of starting kids on a semi-auto, but 10-22 or Marlin M-60 fit 10 yo and up very well.

Key point, GET SOMETHING and get them shooting WITH SUCCESS.

Seen a guy at the range. He had 2 daughters, 8 & 12. The 12 yo was shooting an old bolt action that was way too long and she couldn't hit anything. Got frustrated and quit.

I got my 10-22 with red dot. Asked the guy if he wanted the 8 yo to try it. She was getting frustrated trying to get the bolt gun into position.

He showed her how to operate the 10-22. First shot, she rang the gong. 10 shots in a row, she is giggling and telling her sister to come try.

Older one finally came over. She was soon grinning. They emptied a brick, quickly.
He came over to return rifle and thank me. The girls hugged and thanked me, saying it was the most they had ever had. I gave them another brick to shoot up.

The 12 yo is in college, the 8 yo is in High School. Dad and I are friends.

Get them out and make it fun.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concur with all of the above.

Small or adjustable is a must. Nothing is more frustrating than a stock or length of pull too long.

I started with a Winchester M-62 pump. Papa's rifle, loved that gun. Started my sons on Daisy's, they became the Cricket. Oldest still uses his. Started his kids on it.

Not a fan of starting kids on a semi-auto, but 10-22 or Marlin M-60 fit 10 yo and up very well.

Key point, GET SOMETHING and get them shooting WITH SUCCESS.

Seen a guy at the range. He had 2 daughters, 8 & 12. The 12 yo was shooting an old bolt action that was way too long and she couldn't hit anything. Got frustrated and quit.

I got my 10-22 with red dot. Asked the guy if he wanted the 8 yo to try it. She was getting frustrated trying to get the bolt gun into position.

He showed her how to operate the 10-22. First shot, she rang the gong. 10 shots in a row, she is giggling and telling her sister to come try.

Older one finally came over. She was soon grinning. They emptied a brick, quickly.
He came over to return rifle and thank me. The girls hugged and thanked me, saying it was the most they had ever had. I gave them another brick to shoot up.

The 12 yo is in college, the 8 yo is in High School. Dad and I are friends.

Get them out and make it fun.

This. Also, kids HATE paper. Give them something reactive. Even if it's just something that makes a good noise when hit. My kids love the ring of the steel when they hit their target. That instant feedback makes the difference between "ho-hum" and "Hey Dad, this is fun!"

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a 38 year old child I’d like to think I’m an expert in this venue. Crickets and other bolts with short stocks are great for fundamentals. Then step to a 10/22, buy an extra stock and cut it down. Just make sure the gun fits them and start them out shooting at close range and slowly let them push out further.

Targets are where it gets really fun! Print out a bunch of coloring sheets with the “bad guys” from cartoons or games they like. I found one that was a Lego/skeleton target that was a great anatomy lesson. $10 of 3’ stakes a bag of balloons and a staple gun. There are also fun games like battle ships, poker, tik tac toe that you can draw or print for free online.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger precision 22lr

No recoil, methodic action that as a new shooter it familiarizes the shooter with the processes involved, plus everyone and I mean everyone loves the sound of ejected brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom