Recommendations for a kids 22lr.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started my kids off with an AR15 about that age. I got the 22lr BCG for it. It’s more a grow as they go. Adjustable stock light weight. You can add iron sights or a red dot. Plus when they get older they can shoot the 223 / 5.56 out of it. They can even hunt with it. But I probably wouldn’t let a kid shoot deer with a 223.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Single shot or bolt to start. Marksmanship and gun safety first.
They don't need to know about spray and pray semi autos til later.
Hell, I started shooting at 6 and wasn't allowed to touch a semi auto til I was 18
Single, bolt, pump, semi, full. I've had them all. Now at 66 I'm back to singles and bolts.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my son a 10/22 takedown with a pretty engraved stock when he was three….he didn’t know about it until he was twelve😛. We started with small BB guns in backyard around 9, so the rifle was not much of a jump when he got it for Christmas. I was surprised that the autoloader did not inspire any rapid-fire impulse, he was quite patient and exercised all the good habits we learned in the yard. He does well, and actually completed his 5x5 boy scout shoot on one paper target! I recently bought “us” a Ruger Wrangler, and he was very happy with it-he actually shot that single action more than the rifle!

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
So uhhhh...there's not alot of options for a sub 10" LoP 22 is there? Hell, even BB guns are around 12".

Seems like I'm gonna have to modify a stock, put a bunch of money into a chassis with an adjustable stock, or wait until kiddo grows some.

That last option isn't ideal, she's already done some plinking in the backyard with a Daisy lever Carbine, and I'd like if she didn't lose interest. Even as small as that Daisy is though, it's still too big for her.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So uhhhh...there's not alot of options for a sub 10" LoP 22 is there? Hell, even BB guns are around 12".

Seems like I'm gonna have to modify a stock, put a bunch of money into a chassis with an adjustable stock, or wait until kiddo grows some.

That last option isn't ideal, she's already done some plinking in the backyard with a Daisy lever Carbine, and I'd like if she didn't lose interest. Even as small as that Daisy is though, it's still too big for her.
The closest I've seen is 10.75" on a factory 22

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, I'd shoot it too lol

I did some research and found some neat chassis, and I'd love to be able to swap picatinny stocks. It's basically just the amount of money that's holding me up at this point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom