Recommendations for a meat slicer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several on Amazon for under $100, some with 4-4.5 star reviews. I'm not looking for a high-volume commercial-grade unit. I will be using it mainly to slice homemade bacon and perhaps some jerky here and there.

I don't want to spend $250-300 on one, I won't use it that much, and that money can go toward firearms parts.

I want a fairly inexpensive unit that is a bargain for its quality.

Later I will probably be looking for a sausage grinder, but for now, that bacon-slicer will be used first.

So?

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several on Amazon for under $100, some with 4-4.5 star reviews. I'm not looking for a high-volume commercial-grade unit. I will be using it mainly to slice homemade bacon and perhaps some jerky here and there.

I don't want to spend $250-300 on one, I won't use it that much, and that money can go toward firearms parts.

I want a fairly inexpensive unit that is a bargain for its quality.

Later I will probably be looking for a sausage grinder, but for now, that bacon-slicer will be used first.

So?
I used your buy cheaper philosophy on some scopes and soon learned "buy once cry once". I hear ya on the not using it that much. I have a commercial grade Globe I bought 25 years ago and works like the day i unboxed it. I see that one on Amazon has an extended warranty for 12 bucks. I would get it. UMmm bacon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a slicer with a sharpening attachment.
If the unit your looking for does not have one, look to see if they offer replacement blades.
They can be manually sharpened if one knows what they are doing.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cheap slicer means cheap blade and plastic gears that won't last. it's not about how often you use it, it's about how hard you push it when you DO use it. a cheap slicer is just maddening. They don't slice thin verty well and their consistency can be off, making jerky hard to dehydrate properly.

Most cheap slicers don't have the mechanics to keep the user from running the tines one the slider into the blade. as soon as you do that, you either dull the blade instantly, break the cheap plastic gears or both.

Spend A little more and get a decent slicer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with buy once, cry once.

Cabellas has slicers on display.
The slide has a ton of influence on how good its going to work. You can try one of the $100 ones, and then try the $300 model. The light will come on instantly.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez, I don't know if I should even bother... we have so many appliances already, I don't know if I have anywhere to store this thing when it's not in use except the attic. And climbing up in the in the heat of summer or the dead of winter is a major PITA...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeez, I don't know if I should even bother... we have so many appliances already, I don't know if I have anywhere to store this thing when it's not in use except the attic. And climbing up in the in the heat of summer or the dead of winter is a major PITA...
Wait until you start looking for a grinder, dehydrator, and then a sausage stuffer. I had to build a shelf in the garage for wild game processing equipment.
Its what you do to provide lean healthy meat for the family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom