Recommendations for a meat slicer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just use my wife's kitchen aid for grinding and stuffing. Ground up 2 deer and vacuum sealed it all a few hours ago.

A powerful motor and a sharp blade makes all the difference in the world.
I bought two of the $100 grinders with plastic gears over the years. Took hours to cut the meat into strips so it would feed through the 1" opening.
POS blades just kept binding up with sinew, producing mush instead of meat with texture.
Bought one of the Carnivore grinders from Cabella's two years ago, with a 2" throat in the feed tray. I swear you can throw the meat in there in big chunks and it spits it out without laboring the motor what so ever. 3/4HP if I remember right.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't have a place in the garage for that stuff, either. Our garage is full, shelves full, etc. We still park 2 vehicles in there, but in order to fit anything else, I'd have to stop parking there.

We need a bigger house is what we need, for all the junk we're collecting!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish... we have a small metal shed that is already full of lawn and garden equipment and anything bigger or additional would also be problematic. Believe me, I've thought all this through...

I need a place out in the country and some land. Then I can do all this shite I want. Unfortunately... that's not in the cards for another couple years, probably. And we still have to decide if we're staying in OK or moving to the coast. :(

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A powerful motor and a sharp blade makes all the difference in the world.
I bought two of the $100 grinders with plastic gears over the years. Took hours to cut the meat into strips so it would feed through the 1" opening.
POS blades just kept binding up with sinew, producing mush instead of meat with texture.
Bought one of the Carnivore grinders from Cabella's two years ago, with a 2" throat in the feed tray. I swear you can throw the meat in there in big chunks and it spits it out without laboring the motor what so ever. 3/4HP if I remember right.

Thats a heck of a slicer, very good for value for the buck there.

Going with a crappy slicer, you'll still have to find a place to store it, but you won't want to use it because it takes a perfectly awesome piece of meat and trns it into totally crap meat. I think I'd be more ticked off about the cost off the meat than the craptastic slicer.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't have a place in the garage for that stuff, either. Our garage is full, shelves full, etc. We still park 2 vehicles in there, but in order to fit anything else, I'd have to stop parking there.

We need a bigger house is what we need, for all the junk we're collecting!

Ya got room for a real sharp knife? :)
I know what you are talking about, I have a old commercial slicer, in order to use it I must move it from the back room to the kitchen, the dammed thing is about 100lbs. You can guess about how often it gets used. It will slice very well, but man unless we have a lot of stuff to cut at one time, it is not worth the risk moving that thing. The blade is sharp enough I think I could get cut from the shadow. :)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks go to Dakil Auctions when they have an auction on restraurant equipment and buy their slicers -commercial grade of course. I saw one go for $250 one time. I think ? Humbolt is top of the line. A new one costs several hundred and if you can get one for a couple of hundred it'll last you and your kids the rest of their lives.
I think Dakil has an auction like this coming up very soon and if people are using their cash for Christmas, you might pick up a good deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom