Remember when?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. And now that NASA's prime directive is to improve relations with the Muslim world, it's no wonder that few get excited over the agency anymore. I shake my head just thinking about how ridiculous that sounds.

On the topic of the space race, the From the Earth to the Moon series on DVD is phenomenal.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if they ever had it in Oklahoma, but in Texas many years ago they had the '' Blue Law'' You couldn't sell anything that was taxable on Sunday's, people stayed home more and did family things instead of it being just another business day !!

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My memories are a bit different than from most here...

I grew up in a small community named Pincourt, on the small island of Île Perrot west of Montreal, Canada in the late 60's. Man, the snowstorms we had. Playing hockey on homemade ice rinks in the backyards. Snowstorms. Vinegar on our chips from the guy driving a vending truck in the neighborhood during mild summer days. Snowstorms. Riding our bicycles all over the island. Snowstorms. Tobogganing on the vacant hill near my house after a snowstorm. Racing our homemade soapbox derby carts down the vacant hill street next to the vacant hill. Snowstorms.

At the age of five the family moved to the US. First town I lived in was Lake Placid, New York. More snowstorms. Hockey at the school rink. Snowstorms. Playing war with other neighbor kids down at the abandoned railway station throwing chunks of coal at each other. Still have the scar on my forehead when I was to slow to duck and roll. Mom wasn't impressed by the amount of blood. Snowstorms. Flying kites on the hill during the summer that we'd toboggan down after a snowstorm in the winter. Snowstorms. My first crush in the second grade... Candice Cooke. Snowstorms. Fourth of July parades in downtown Lake Placid, Wilmington, Peru and Jay, New York. Snowstorms. Ben Franklin five and dime stores. Snowstorms. The covered bridges. Snowstorms. Snowmobile rides. Snowstorms. The ferry ride to Burlington, Vermont across Lake Champlain. Snowstorms.

Eventually found myself in Charleston, SC for a few years. No snowstorms. Best memory was Pamela Clark.

Then Oklahoma City. Racing my motorcycle around Draper Lake. Dragging Air Depot on a Friday night. Getting married to my first wife. Spending four years babysitting E3As at Tinker. Fourteen years at ONG afterwards. Getting divorced. Hitting the road as a trucker. Settling back in OKC after remarrying. Bringing my Canadian wife down here. She likes the fact that there are no snowstorms.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, Dutch. I bet Oklahoma is a far cry from Canada. I'm a lifelong Okie and the longest I've ever seen snow on the ground here is 30 days and that was only because my front yard was in the shadow of the house.

D- I remember Blue Laws. I had a buddy who moved to Waco when we were 10 and I visited him a couple times afterward. It was like the town shut down on Sunday. Not a bad thing really.

jerbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Riding our bikes or walking to Grandma & Grandpas to watch the Lone (Long) Ranger, rock fights with kids in our neighborhood ,ridng down grass slopes on pieces of cardboard, 5 cent pop and candy at the grocery store across the street, riding our bikes or walking to school. No school buses, if you rode the bus, cost you a dime i think. We used to pick up pop bottles at Newblock Park and watch my dad play softball, it was big in those days. Donkey ball games were special! This was all in Tulsa where i grew up. Lots of good memories brought back today.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, Dutch. I bet Oklahoma is a far cry from Canada. I'm a lifelong Okie and the longest I've ever seen snow on the ground here is 30 days and that was only because my front yard was in the shadow of the house.

D- I remember Blue Laws. I had a buddy who moved to Waco when we were 10 and I visited him a couple times afterward. It was like the town shut down on Sunday. Not a bad thing really.
The Blue Law was great, No stores open except a grocery store and a couple of conveniece stores and people had picnics or cook-outs and other "family" stuff. I want to do that again !!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember when cars had either all metric or all SAE nuts, bolts and screws?

Good one! I remember that too. I also remember the best way to work on you pickup's engine was to just climb in there with it. Try that today with all the .gov mandated emissions crap they have on them. Also I remember that if you wanted to take the straight 6 out of your chevy and drop a small OR big block V8 in they would bolt right up just like it came with it.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Blue Law was great, No stores open except a grocery store and a couple of conveniece stores and people had picnics or cook-outs and other "family" stuff. I want to do that again !!

Sunday "Blue Laws!" Flatwins is correct. That is definitely not a bad thing. It would be great if life slowed down. It won't though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom