Remington 700 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
O.K. here is a question for those of you that have kept up with more modern designs of rifles. My brother-in-law bought a Remington 700 for my nephew. It is chambered for 300 win mag. He claims that it will soot other, smaller rounds as well. I have been around guns for 40+ years and did not know of a rifle round that could shoot something smaller the way you can shoot a .38 from a .357 . Please enlighten me. Thank you.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically he's correct. You can fire 7mm Rem Mag in a 300WM chamber. As evidenced above, people would consider doing so a poor choice.

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
I loaned him a 12ga and a 20ga to try. He thought the 12ga kicked too much so he bought a 20ga for himself. I have enough bulk that the 12ga is no problem, but I wouldn't want to shoot the 300 win mag very much.

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
My brother-in-law is not a hunter or gun enthusiast. I'm guessing he was advised by some of his work buddies. To me the 300 win mag is a bit overkill for whitetail (which is what my nephew wants to hunt). He just turned 17 and hasn't taken his hunters safety course yet. He just got interested in guns within the last year.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since he's not a hunter or gun enthusiast, I'm going to bet that he doesn't reload, but maybe one of his work buddies does, and has agreed to or mentioned reloading some reduced .300wm loads. I've loaded some down for a couple of people and the recoil was mild at best.(Accuracy was usable but not something I would want to compete with)