Remington 870 rusting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread got me thinking that the alloy receiver of the other brand wouldn't do this. I own both, so, not trying to start anything, just something to think about.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I'm going to contact remington because I used a microfiber towel and hopped oil and the spot started to clean up, but it is shiny under the spot, so remington needs to step up and either refinish it or have some one refinish it for me.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I'm going to contact remington because I used a microfiber towel and hopped oil and the spot started to clean up, but it is shiny under the spot, so remington needs to step up and either refinish it or have some one refinish it for me.

I bet they tell you it is from your own neglect. Guns rust if not properly cared for.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's the case that will be the last remington I buy. I have taken care of it stripped and cleaned it as soon as I got it, ran a light coat of oil over it and it still got a spot. It's not a protective finish they put on it.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to sound discouraged I'm really not I love the feel of the shot gun and specifically chose the 870 over mossberg. It looks like they are treating me right and getting me fixed up.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see it in your photo, but it is likely an "870 Express" it is the very model sold a walmart and such. Cheaper guns with cheaper finishes.
Keep in mind that if Remington wants to charge you, it would be money better spent having it cerakoted or dipped. Just my .02