Remington 870 rusting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try a lead pencil.
I use G96 and have only had 1 firearm rust in the last 35+ years. That was a tip from Bethel Shamburg.
I also use silicone gun socks. They're only about $9.00.
I've never had a gun in a silicone sock rust.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wipe the gun down with oil after EVERY use. be careful that you do not touch the metal after you wipe it down.

to me this is neglect. it is not remington's or any other manufacture's fault if a user leaves finger prints on a gun.

seems like you ought to take responsibility for this.

if the rust is left on the gun long enough, it will eat through the blueing. when you remove the rust you will see the shiny silver bare metal underneath.

the express does not have as good of a finish as the wingmaster.

keep an oiled rag in a zip lock bag where you keep your guns. any time the gun is touched use the oiled rag.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want to know how this is a case of neglect when I had oiled it. I literally bought the gun tore it down cleaned it oiled it. Put it away for about a month took it to a gunsmith to have amng extension added on got it home cleaned and oiled it and left it untouched for about 4 months.

Frankly this is a manufacture issue how is it that my sks, 2 mosins, an xd9, a rohm 22 all have the same care and none of them have had any rust what so ever. And several of these guns I have owned for 5 plus years how come none of them are rusting?

I fully understand how rust works and how to prevent it and most metals have a protective finish, on that note I have a lamp made out of a cam shaft that is bare metal that gets touched daily and it has never seen a speck of rust and I don't oil it every time I touch it. The shot gun in question has a protective finish on it and has been handled twice there should not be rust. If it rusts through the finish remington either needs to get a better finish or they have a QC issue on letting contaminates get on the metal and not being cleaned before finishing. Yes it is an express but for almost $400 I should not have to tip toe around and pull it out every week and oil it as you aparently do.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll +1 the cerakote... That stuff is stupid-proof. The DIY Duracoat is another option, but it scratches like paint. It's tough, but not tough enough. Dipping is a cool option too, but I just haven't seen a scratch proof example of it yet.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the new millenium. For a while now, Remington products have had the tendency to develop this condition. There has even been a term coined describing it: RemRust.
The finish they use is cheap.
You have really two choices. Either refinish the firearm with the quality finish of your choice. Or perform constant preventative maintenance and keep it well oiled. This means you can not let it sit for months at a time without wiping it down with oil.

I opted to have my hard use 870 parkerized by Honeybee. It was money well spent.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple of newer 870 Express models and both would get a dusting of rust if not cared for. In May I shot a round of clays and threw it in my safe without cleaning. The sweat all over it was 100% my fault but I was shocked at how rusted the receiver surface was after just two days. I was able to wipe it down with CLP and it all came off no worse for the wear. To be honest it looked exactly like my M16 would the next morning after dripping sweat on it all day. M16/AR15 ext. barrels rust just as easily as the receiver on an 870 but I never hear people feeling like Colt was being cheap on barrel finishing. Sweat = Rust period. CLP or whatever oil you use is your friend. : )

I really like the 870 platform so I’ll probably have it cerakoted black someday.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try a lead pencil.
I use G96 and have only had 1 firearm rust in the last 35+ years. That was a tip from Bethel Shamburg.
I also use silicone gun socks. They're only about $9.00.
I've never had a gun in a silicone sock rust.

I used G96 years ago. I never could fing it in stores. I loved the scent of G96. I know that is weird. I just like the smell of any gun cleaner or lube but G96 is the best.