Revolver Speedloaders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious as to what you all think about the various speedloaders for revolvers out there.

I've tried the HKS twist offs before. Recently saw the Safariland push release speedloaders.

I have several wheel guns, but have never really gotten into the speedloader issue before.

Curious as to what the experienced revolver user will use.

Thanks

Dave

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried most but always go back to the HKS. They just work for me.

I have seen the Safariland drop the shells when the release is bumped by accident several times and even had it happen to me. The speed strips are nice for keeping extra rounds but I have never been able to use them nearly as fast as a speedloader.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Safariland makes a speedloader for something, I have no interest in any other offering especially those from HK (which I have used). Safariland model 2 speedloaders are nice for general use (model 1 is a more compact version). The model 3 (aka comp 3s) are competition (only) oriented where they actually use springs to push the shells into the cylinder instead of relying on gravity like the model 1 and 2 (normal use speedloaders). The comp 3s are also about double the height of normal speedloaders.

With the HK series, you must hold the cylinder then twist the release knob. With the Safariland ones, just push them forward to release into the cylinder; no holding the cylinder required and no certain place on the speedloader that must be held or twisted.

What would I use? For carry, Safariland model 2 then 1 in that order. For competition, comp 3s, I guess, but I don't plan to shoot a S&W 625 in any form of competition. For deep concealed carry of a 38 snubby, I have and would use Bianchi speed strips. They're slower to reload with but make a small, discrete package no speedloader can compare with.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Safariland Comp II's are the bomb. They won't drop loads if you have them seated properly. They beat HKS hands down. Speed strips are about worthless. Nothing speedy about them.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are serious about speedloading a revolver, have it modified to use moonclips. SF Comp IIs are a little faster than the HKS type. There are others but I have not used them.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the responses.

I'm not looking for competition speed, just convenience.

IF I needed it, I'd like to have the ability to reload more than a single round at a time.

Dave

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
surprised no one has said anything about J frame being a bit tight with speed loaders. at least that's true for my 340PD and 337PD.

Latest posts

Top Bottom