Riots and Looting...the best way to get "Justice"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These days, when their primary job seems to be to inflame the congenitally stupid with inflamed rhetoric and advocate every silly-assed freedom stomping government position? Absolutely. Seriously. I can't think of a 'career' that has had a bigger loss of credibility in the last thirty years. Billy should have said "The first thing we do, let's kill all the media." There is NO bigger threat to freedom than the Media-Government complex. Politicians aren't as dangerous as no intelligent person believes anything they say. However, somehow, many seemingly intelligent people still believe that they are getting the "News".

When you are a lackey of the same system that physically beats yer arse, that's karma right there. As it should be.

I'm sorry, but I can't not point out the... Ill call it irony, of your statement. They are being assaulted and illegally detained for reporting on a government's "freedom stomping" position, which is what you accuse them of supporting, but you support the government and want the government to stop on their freedoms (and ours... the press is a tool of the public. How else do you propose we find out what's going on? Some are biased, but in my opinion that largely is more the TV talking heads, not the reporters on the street) because you don't like what they say and want them to stop reporting on the "freedom stomping"?

I would also point out that events like this are somewhat of a tipping point for many news organizations. As a for instance, I give you this article from Huffington Post, an outlet I don't think anyone would argue has a liberal slant:

Here's What Barack Obama And Hillary Clinton Were Doing During The Chaos In Ferguson:
www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/obama-hillary-ferguson-protest_n_5677092.html

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think, maybe we try what is working quite well tonight... Respecting the right to peaceful assembly and only target those actually committing crimes. Take a look at the live streams tonight... Same community, different police, different outcome. Seems to have isolated the variable inflaming the unrest pretty well.

And I agree with Lurker, police should look like police, not like soldiers on the battlefield. This country has had riots since day one and handled them, but only recently have we militarized the police to this extent. It is unnecessary and leads to the loss of rights for EVERYONE.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, we should just go right to Martial Law in these cases? Interesting, given your earlier positions.

I never said to oppress anyone or go to Martial Law. Cops can be cops without camo. Big difference between a riot and a protest.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can't not point out the... Ill call it irony, of your statement. They are being assaulted and illegally detained for reporting on a government's "freedom stomping" position, which is what you accuse them of supporting, but you support the government and want the government to stop on their freedoms (and ours... the press is a tool of the public. How else do you propose we find out what's going on? Some are biased, but in my opinion that largely is more the TV talking heads, not the reporters on the street) because you don't like what they say and want them to stop reporting on the "freedom stomping"?

Your comment lost it's validity at "the press is a tool of the public."

I do appreciate the attempt, but I suspect you reinforced my earlier statements. By the way, I said nothing about supporting ANY side of this collective stupidity.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im of the opinion police shouldnt ever use or have military equipment. If we need riot control call up the Natl Guard. Some of the nonsense some cities employ should never be tolerated by citizens.

Theres no reason for city cops to be dressed in camo, wearing masks and flak jackets.

I agree with the uniform part. Police officers should do riot control, and many other non standard jobs in their patrol uniform with the riot gear worn over the patrol uniform. The SWAT/SOT or whatever we are calling them today do need different equipment to do the job. Over the past 10 or so years we have seen more and more police departments going to different camouflage patterns for some silly reasons. We also have patrol officers for departments that patrol in 5.11 pants and polo's that needs to stop. There was a time when police officers looked like police officers. Your average patrol officer should look like a police officer. TPD has allowed officers to go with "outer vests" instead of standard under the shirt/inner bullet resistant vests. The outer ones look a bit to militaristic.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I do appreciate the attempt, but I suspect you reinforced my earlier statements. By the way, I said nothing about supporting ANY side of this collective stupidity.

Can you explain how that statement is not valid? Do we all not get information from the press? I believe it may be your comment losing validity. Unless you are omni-present, or have friends ALL over the world who tell you what's going on daily, you use the press too... even if you are selective in the press you trust.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Who do you think the press reports to? The Press and Freedom of Press is a Tool, just like a firearm and the Right to Bear. The Bill of Rights is a tool for the citizens to use against our Govt.

So yes its very valid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the uniform part. Police officers should do riot control, and many other non standard jobs in their patrol uniform with the riot gear worn over the patrol uniform. The SWAT/SOT or whatever we are calling them today do need different equipment to do the job. Over the past 10 or so years we have seen more and more police departments going to different camouflage patterns for some silly reasons. We also have patrol officers for departments that patrol in 5.11 pants and polo's that needs to stop. There was a time when police officers looked like police officers. Your average patrol officer should look like a police officer. TPD has allowed officers to go with "outer vests" instead of standard under the shirt/inner bullet resistant vests. The outer ones look a bit to militaristic.

I agree. The tactic of overwhelming force to solve a situation is a good tactic, but it has gone too far.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... I am disturbed by much in this thread.

My girlfriend said she assumed the right would just dismiss the protestors because of their race and ignore the over-arching complete disregard of civil rights and law; I said I didn't think that was the case, that there would be an outcry at the use of military tactics to suppress free speech (multiple journalists intentionally tear gassed and bean bagged and their equipment destroyed) and the law. I come on here, and am proven completely wrong.

Off soap-box I go. Flame away.

If you really believe that, then you have not been paying attention. How fast do you think this thread would get locked up once "that" conversation is joined? Milliseconds, is the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom