S&W Folding Pistol Caliber Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand PCCs other than a fun range toy but I'm glad you like it, variety is the spice of life!
For me and my wife they are easy to manage, accurate, reliable, and allow for quick follow up shots. That will go a long way in the unlikely event of having to use them in a self defense capacity.
They are also mre cost effective to practice and train with.
My go to will still be an AR platform in 5.56 or 308

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me and my wife they are easy to manage, accurate, reliable, and allow for quick follow up shots. That will go a long way in the unlikely event of having to use them in a self defense capacity.
They are also mre cost effective to practice and train with.
My go to will still be an AR platform in 5.56 or 308
I get the cost-effective with the ammo, but are you saying the very soft shooting glorified .22 AR-15 is too much to handle? I feel like some of the blowback-operated guns like the Sub-2000 have more recoil than a 5.56 rifle, I'm not sure how they manage it, but they do.

I guess there are two ways of looking at it, they are accurate compared to a pistol at pistol distances but you get all the weight and none of the performance of a rifle.

I can't think of a scenario where I would need to defend myself and I have the opportunity to grab something other than the pistol on my hip and I would reach for a PCC versus a rifle. Now pistol caliber guns make sense in full auto but with PCCs you get none of that benefit and all of the disadvantages of a pistol round.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the longest time I never saw the point in a PCC. I argued much the same... All the disadvantages of both pistol caliber (weak vs rifle) and rifles (larger/harder to maneuver/conceal). I made an exception in my mind for lever action guns since they were historically chambered in pistol calibers.

Then, I got my first PCC. Happened to be a Colt AR in 9MM. And boy was it just plain fun to shoot. Then I got a few others and they're also fun to shoot. With the folding guns like the S&W and the Kel-Tec, they're easy to carry and you do get a ballistic advantage with the longer barrel. Also means you only carry one type of magazine if your PCC and handgun are compatible.

I agree with the recoil of something like a blowback 9MM vs a typical AR-style rifle in 5.56MM. The recoil is at least equivalent, and likely slightly more.

So, for me, it just boils down to they're fun to shoot. That's the biggest attraction. And I can throw a PCC, folded up, into a backpack or something similar in the truck while traveling and it does give an advantage over a pistol.

I'm definitely a convert to PCCs though I still prefer rifle-caliber long guns.

Scott Stehno

GunOwl Firearms LLC
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have sold three of the S&W PFC and everyone seems to like them when they can handle it in person. I always keep one in stock. When I sell one I order the next one to have on hand. So if you want one to see live then let me know.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, for me, it just boils down to they're fun to shoot. That's the biggest attraction. And I can throw a PCC, folded up, into a backpack or something similar in the truck while traveling and it does give an advantage over a pistol.

I agree with the fun part, I have a Ruger PCC, it takes Glock mags, breaks down easily, and is fun to run suppressed. It's not particularly reliable though, perhaps a 95% gun.

What gets me is when people think PCCs are something they are not (not saying this is you). They try to force them into this role of a go-to backup gun to their pistol when they could easily have a rifle carbine for the same weight and size like a truck gun. It's a solution in search of a problem.

I have a truck gun, it's an AR-15 or a Ruger Gunsite Scout bolt action with 10 10-round mag setup in a Scout rifle configuration when I need something 50-state legal to travel with.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be clear I understand the limitations of a PCC vs a AR in 5.56.
For my wife it boils down to comfortable and confidence. Admittedly she has not spent enough time with the AR platform. We will remedy that in the near future.
My CZ Scorpion is accurate, reliable and just plain fun to shoot.
For home defense I prefer an AR. But I would grab the CZ if needed.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the fun part, I have a Ruger PCC, it takes Glock mags, breaks down easily, and is fun to run suppressed. It's not particularly reliable though, perhaps a 95% gun.

What gets me is when people think PCCs are something they are not (not saying this is you). They try to force them into this role of a go-to backup gun to their pistol when they could easily have a rifle carbine for the same weight and size like a truck gun. It's a solution in search of a problem.

I have a truck gun, it's an AR-15 or a Ruger Gunsite Scout bolt action with 10 10-round mag setup in a Scout rifle configuration when I need something 50-state legal to travel with.

The Ruger PCC is one of the few I don't have and have never fired.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have 2 at the exchange on Tinker.

I am impressed enough to own my very first SW M&P for the first time since seeing my M&P15T.

Retail at the base was $667.00

Latest posts

Top Bottom