Saiga 7.62 rifle conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a saiga 7.62x39 rifle today. It does not have the pistol grip or anything else the ak47 has. I am wanting to get the trigger moved up and have a pistol grip and different stock added. The front of the rifle can wait. I just want to get the back end done. And have a bullet guide added. Where would be the best place and cheapest to get this done at? I would do it myself but do not have the tools to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. Although I will have to spend some extra money getting this converted I am glad I picked the saiga. It is very good quality. Very excited to get it converted. Thanks.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carolina shooters has a series of videos on youtube of doing a conversion...its really simple and you don't need any specialty tools for it. I would at least watch them before you decide you cant do it. I have done 3 or 4 saiga 12's but never one of their rifles. The only thing different would be the bullet guide and I have seen them welded as well as tapped and screwed. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9XijAw3e8 to figure out what type you need.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carolina shooters has a series of videos on youtube of doing a conversion...its really simple and you don't need any specialty tools for it. I would at least watch them before you decide you cant do it. I have done 3 or 4 saiga 12's but never one of their rifles. The only thing different would be the bullet guide and I have seen them welded as well as tapped and screwed. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9XijAw3e8 to figure out what type you need.
as I said in my opening post, I do not have the tools to do this. I have no vice, drill or tap. I have no center punch to mark the drill hole. Plus I am not about to try and tap the hole myself and break the tap off and ruin my rifle. I'm not risking that. I would rather pay the money and have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. I am not a gunsmith and only know the basics about breaking down firearms and cleaning them. This is way beyond what i should even try. So again if someone knows who I could take this to that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg I would sure appreciate it.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking do the basic part and have someone else do the bullet guide to save money but you really made it clear that you just aren't capable. Tromix in BA would be the best of the best place (in the world) to take it but im sure they are booked. I would call around shops near you and see who has done them and what they charge. Ask what paint they use to color match the original finish (flat black will look like garbage) and what conversion kit they prefer and why.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking do the basic part and have someone else do the bullet guide to save money but you really made it clear that you just aren't capable. Tromix in BA would be the best of the best place (in the world) to take it but im sure they are booked. I would call around shops near you and see who has done them and what they charge. Ask what paint they use to color match the original finish (flat black will look like garbage) and what conversion kit they prefer and why.
I didn't mean to sound like a jerk in my last post. I am sure I can get the tools to do the trigger and stock. I am a certified machinist but haven't done machining work in years. Got rid of all my old tools. I know it's pathetic to be a man and not even have a drill. Lol. I was just concerned about doing the billet guide. But I could ge that done just about any shop I am sure. I have found what I need in Carolina shooters. As far as the front of the rifle I ain't worried about it right now. And from what I have seen it ain't hard to change the gas tube and handguards. I would just need to get the barrel threaded. I plan on having the barrel cut to 14.5 and the sights moved back and then have the arsenal muzzle break permanently attached. Like the krebs ak. Well one of theirs at least. Atlantic sells it. Thanks for your help.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you permanently attach the 74 style break on you will not be able to clean the inside of the break or the crown of your barrel. not sure if that matters to you, just thought you should know.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've converted quite a few and even wrote a tutorial on how to do it, years ago. Tromix is by far the best, but you'll probably have to wait until 2050 before getting on that list.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered the kit and bullet guide from Carolina shooters. Chose the basic kit with magpul pistol grip. Also ordered the new magpul fixed triangular stock from midway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom