Savage 511 shotgun help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I presume this is a double? Probably should use snap caps if you want to dry fire it. I have seen several older doubles with damage from too much dry firing. CB

weef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it's a double and it's my brothers he was asking me if it needs shells in it because it will not dry fire and he has not shot it yet I told him I don't know but I would start a post about it thanks for the help

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You shouldn't need anything in the chambers in order to dry fire the 511, but as previously mentioned snap caps can prevent damage to the firing pins.

If this particular 511 has sat unused and uncleaned for an extended period of time, it's possible the some oil or grease has hardened in the pin bores and/or in and around the coil main springs & plungers. A thorough cleaning may be all it needs to function properly.
If you haven't previously fired it and aren't very familiar with SxS's, I would suggest having a competent gunsmith give it a good looking over. While the 311 and 511 are very sturdy utility firearms, they can still suffer from wear and other damage that could result in an injury or worse to the shooter...Better safe, than sorry! ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom