say ban does not happen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i bought one thing that i wasn't planning on buying anyway and it was a non-gouger prices, so,bring it on joe!

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just watch they will make a move to not allow the passing down of guns, mags and ammo.
I for one am with the camp that we will never see AR's for sale again, nor any ammo to feed any military rifle.
Same with ever being able to aquire a magazine that has a greater than 10+ capacity. I'm strictly speaking from
retailers,unless military style rifle, pistols, mags and ammo survive at all, I'm afraid it will be with taxes that put them out of everyones reach financially and a host of gov. mandates that are illegal. I do think that we will still have a (several months) window before the hammer drops. Funny how fast Gov, works to pass legislation when
it going to benifit them and their plans.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but when the fire has burnt your home to the ground, it's too
late to put up a smoke detector. I hate it for everyone that hasn't had an opprotunity to live long enough to
put back a few (read lots) guns,mags and ammo. Unless you are born wealthy, that takes years to do usually. I'm not also trying to instill any fear, but I believe if you don't have it now, you're never gonna get it later. I pray I'm
in the wrong camp. But it's people that are thinking like me in never being able to aquire, that will run out and drop $1700 or more on an AR. Therefore, the high prices.

All I'm guilty of doing is buying a little over priced 9mm ammo but you won't see me paying the prices on the
boards today. If I don't get the ammo to shoot with, will it be availabe in 6-12 months? Therefore, the high prices. Maybe if I had been caught completely with my pants down and had nothing, I'd be selling off
the wife and dogs to aquire it though.

It's easy to fall prey to the panic but let's look at a couple things. Over the past decade, CC laws have expanded to nearly every state in the union. The first AWB expired and there have been virtually no calls to re-instate it for 7 years. The AR platform has become one of the most widespread and versatile platforms on the market with a multi-billion dollar industry of rifles and accessories.

Add to that, the first AWB resulted in a sweep in the congressional races back in 94. We had more support of gun control measures then than we do now. Politicians want to be re-elected and they will not ignore the consequences of the actions from 94. Also, the momentum for a very long time has been one of expanding gun rights so stopping that momentum and going 180 mph in the other direction like you state would be very difficult.

Now I'm not saying don't be concerned. Hell, I'm more concerned now than at any other time in my adult life about our gun rights. But that doesn't mean I'm going to dump $2k on an $800 AR. It's a gamble against uncertainty. Wouldn't we be better off sending some of that cash to our lobbyist groups to grease the skids in congress against more gun control? That's where my guns and ammo gouge money is going. I've bought a few things but everything I have bought has been at normal pricing. It's out there, just harder than hell to find.

Don't lose hope just yet. This legislation has a long ways to go and the full Feinstein bill like you describe won't pass the congress.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had the past 4 years to prepare in terms of firearms and magazines. This latest run, the only thing I have bought are primers. That is just because the supply is dry right now and I like to shoot. I don't have enough right now to make it through competition season. So when I find components, I buy them.

Glock N Load

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ban or no ban, i bet it's a couple years before shelves are back to normal. There is too many people that got caught with their pants down. I will admit that I'm one of them! I've been running aroung like a chicken with my head cut off looking for 9mm ammo. Finally found about 400 rounds lastnight. Makes me feel a little better but still have a ways to go.

LakeRatt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there is a shady element at work here, not just supply and demand.
I was lucky that i was able to build a ar last year when everything was plentiful and cheap. Then in august my father decided he wanted one. I started to buy and build in september. I literally bought the last parts on the shelf at regular prices. I could see the problem coming. Now 700$ ar are selling for 1700$ ! if you can find any or parts. Then i ordered a 1000 rounds of 223 at 399$ the very next day it was all gone. When i do see it its 700-800 $ crazy! I had to make a tough decision at the gun store right before Christmas. They had a colt defender me and the wife wanted, but we talked and ended up buying a reloading setup to reload .45 and .223. Now i am trying to assemble a collection of reloading supplies and am finding empty stores devoid of powder and primers. forget about brass! over the last few years for some reason i felt compelled to take most of my brass home and put it in a giant glass jar for decorative purposes. Now it is very handy. I am not a stockpiler but all 5 of us enjoy shooting on a regular basis and am becoming frustrated with rationing ammo out to my family so we can have fun. My youngest only enjoys .22's right now. Its hard telling him I dont have any and when he asks why? i dont have a good answer.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well... IF there is no ban at all, I think we will still see people buying and hoarding for a while. As you can see by the responses here, it's driven by the fear of missing out or not having it later.

The prices will go down again as that mentality diminishes, but you will also have a bunch of people who think their AR-15 is worth whatever the inflated price they paid for it. They won't be selling those unless they HAVE to.

Hopefully, the manufacturers will not drop their production due to the market being saturated. They will be paying close attention and adjusting their stocks accordingly. Think about it... they are already now thrust into worrying if they will even be able to keep the doors open if there is a ban. Even if that IMMEDIATE threat subsides, they will be very leery about things. It's nice to think that they would just overproduce to have stuff already made if the threat ever comes up again, but that's not how these businesses work... every time they carry inventory for more than 30 days, they have to start dealing with having that money tied up, not earning anything AND costing them storage and potentially extra tax.

vonhismean

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for the last week and I'm still lost on what to sell my bushmaster or wasr for I do think they have atleast went up in realistic value by a couple hundred dollars. I remember buying my 10/22 for $90 wish I could find another one for that price!

Latest posts

Top Bottom