Seeking wisdom for teenage rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No reason to replace a gun because of a bullet problem. Now I don't blame you for wanting another firearm. So if you are set on that, no reason a .243 wouldn't fit the bill.

Look for the all copper bullets for expansion and pass throughs. Barnes, Cavity Back and Maker Bullets are a few that come to mind.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddies' son has taken three deer with the AR platform .300 blackout subsonic. Almost zero recoil but shots are kept under 50 yards.
AR platform in .300 BO, .223, 6.5 Grendal, or a bolt .243 would be my choice for youth.
Every one of those selections are dependent on the correct bullet for the job at hand as has been mentioned earlier.
It's the bullet that does the killin', not the caliber.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My oldest son started at 8 with a .223 and at 12 I bought him a .243 ruger american. He still loves that rifle. My youngest son who is also very thin started with my .308 at 14 and has killed several deer with it. Hornady whitetail 100 grain for the .243 and 150’s for the .308 for little to most of the time no tracking.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find myself taking my .223 bolt rifle hunting way more than any other rifle I own.
I am old and i have discovered I do not need a blood trail if i stick the bullet in the right spot.

I do not know if you have to track your deer when shot with a .223 or if they just die within eye sight or drop on the spot.

For me I use 55 Vmax and they drop on the spot.
No tracking needed.
I own a 30-30 and it is by far my least favorite round for deer killing.
Why?
Slow Velocity and the 150-170 gr bullets of past just pencil through and the deer run away after being shot.
I have .308-30-06, 6.5x55, .243, 6.5cm 30-30 , .223, by far .223 is my favorite.

I have never tried a heavier bullet in .223 for deer killing the 55v-max gets it done.

I have tried the 55 SP Hornady bullet and I HATE that bullet.
I do not suggest it for deer killing it does not cause the explosive trauma that the V-Max line does.

If you are dead set on another caliber I would go with the .243 like others have stated and use the 87 gr V-Max bullet.
I have dropped every deer I shot with it on the spot.
I like neck shots for the bang flop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom