Selling a Suppresor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If say a person would be selling a suppressor and the deal is made at an FFL/SOT for transfer the recipient would have to wait for the background check to clear say 9 months +/- correct?
Can the exchange of funds take place and the can just sit at a local FFL until buyer is clear and approved for pickup?

Last edited:

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the buyer is a resident of your state you do not need to involve a FFL/SOT to complete the transfer. You will retain the item and transfer it to the buyer once you receive the approved form in the mail.

Typically, on items such as this you would get paid prior to submitting the forms to atf.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Transferred a Thompson a while back to a member here. He gave me a sizeable deposit, filled out the forms and sent them off with fingerprints, photos, 200 bucks. waited almost 13 months and the approved papers came back. He came and paid the balance and picked it up. NOTE Only works if they are SAME STATE RESIDENTS otherwise it gets complicated and expensive

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If say a person would be selling a suppressor and the deal is made at an FFL/SOT for transfer the recipient would have to wait for the background check to clear say 9 months +/- correct?
Can the exchange of funds take place and the can just sit at a local FFL until buyer is clear and approved for pickup?
*Thought about selling my new, never fired Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1....
I don't know about today. In the past to go thru a dealer, you transferred it and paid another 200 and it became his property. I'd rather sell local at a discount and do the paperwork myself. only problem is private sale have to use paper forms not efile.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So it sounds as if in state residents doing the transaction is the most easiest. Buyer pays seller either in full or half, or whatever. Seller files paperwork not (e-file). Buyer does paperwork, finger prints, $200, and send off. Wait.......... Buyer is approved, finish payoff amount if not in full, pickup, done deal?

What if something happens to the suppressor holder/owner and the family members have it in their safe?

Latest posts

Top Bottom