Should I buy a used Range Rover?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a different perspective. I've had four full-sized Range Rovers (including the super charged one I have now), two Discoverys, and two Defenders D-90. I had some issues with the 2004 Range Rover's automatic raising and lowering suspension, but they were resolved. All in all, I have nothing but very positive things to say about them. They are super tough and handle better in ice and snow than any other 4x4 I've experienced. If I were stuck with just one vehicle forever, it would be a rover.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know why the Brits don't build computers?

They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil!

Actually, I looked at a Disco II a while back; good price, nice shape. The reason for the good price was the engine was making "some kind of noise", but "ran".

I did some research and apparently, RR bought the tooling for the V8 in those from Buick(?) back in the 60s, and kept using it until it was past worn out. Unfortunately, that didn't stop them from using it. The engines left the factory out of spec, with cylinder sleeve and oil pump failures common. RR wouldn't replace the engines under warranty, but would if you wanted to give them $10k.

I don't know about the Freelander, but RR doesn't have a great track record of reliability.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have wanted on for a long time and then I drove one. A Supercharged HSE I think. Thought it was really nice but not enough room for me. I was really disappointed because I have wanted one for a long time but I wasn't going to pay that much for something I wouldn't be comfortable in on a long road trip

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Free Lander isn't a Range Rover. I wouldn't go for one. A Rav 4 would be a better vehicle in that class.

An LR4, or older Disco maybe. A defender but that's a pipe dream.

Latest posts

Top Bottom