Should I take my situation to small claims court?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so Earlier this year I take my boat out. February to be exact. Well I end up blowing my engine on my bass boat. It isnt the greatest boat(89 17ft. Javelin) and I didnt want to spend a bunch fixing it. So I go to this local guy who does boat repair. Well I drop it off to him. Next day I call him and he confirms the engine is blown. The oil pump went out. We talked and agreed to put a 125hp force motor to replace the 150 that was on it.

So he estimated $1000 for his motor and he keeps mine. Cool. He said about 2 weeks. Well I waited for a call and never got one. So I called after a month. He said he had trouble getting connections to match up. So I wait some more. Another month goes by. So I call and he tells me he has some issues with the title on it and that he was a 140 evinrude that would even be better. So I said ok. We decided on a 1911 and $600 for the motor install, test and tune. Well finally after a little over 3 months I get my boat. I take it out with my buddy and we can not get it on plain. So I am pissed. Anyways he wrote on the receipt that he would warranty the motor for 60 days. I get back to him in about a week. He said he may just have to tune it or change props. Well its now September snd he still has my boat. Will not answer phone calls. Been to his house a few times and tried knocking on his door. I see my boat is still in his yard untouched.... I am lost on what I should do. Any suggestions would really help.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get my 1911 back and chock the rest of it up to life lessons. Buy a new boat... But that's just me. Small claims will take more time and money, and chances are the guy will stiff you in the end when you win judgement.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's one thing to win in small claims court. It's entirely another thing to collect on the judgement, like twoforflinching said. Either way, you're going to be out money and probably the pistol. getting your property back will is going to be a major PITA, especially once you file and he's served. Chances are he won't even show up in court. Then you'll have a nice piece of paper saying you won the suit.

Hard to fish from a piece of paper though, just sayin'.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_w0kqwYD.jpg

Electrical fire

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spata FTW. Yeah I am so pissed. I want to do the right thing. That is why I brought this situation. But the evil side of me wants to do bad...

Latest posts

Top Bottom