Shoulder Surgery. Anyone had it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am starting to get into the same boat with my right shoulder seperation/ac tear. Been that way for 15 years and has hurt pretty much all the time. Had to service the tranny on my truck a couple weeks ago and the swelling was so bad in my shoulder the middle ring and pinky finger on my right had were going numb, pins and needles or ants crawling on them for a week. Wife is setting an appointment at McBride ASAP so something can be done.

Swelling has went down for the most part but still have some of the numbness.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a total shoulder replacement in Jun of this year and doing great, didn't have to take any pain medication but did start PT about three weeks after surgery and just about due to be released from PT. I'm a vet so I had it done at the OKC Friendly VA Hospital by Dr Betsy Nolan who has done over 500 of these surgeries. She specialized in shoulder replacements and I wouldn't go to anyone else. As a matter of fact, I urge you to go online and research your doctor and see if they have had sanctions or malpractice suits against them. I was going to go to one and after I researched him I found he had a history of drug abuse and sanctions so I scratched him.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Follow the doctors orders on icing and pt. I wish I had when I had my surgery. It took three years to gain most of my mobility back, would hve been sooner if i would have done what they said initially.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! Other night felt a pop followed by pain in right shoulder. Now I am back to cortisone shots and wait and see if they help to go see ortho.

But with the high recommendation of the Ortho doc at the Va, will try for consult to her through my PCP there if needed.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had rotator cuff on left shoulder done "old style" in 2009, right shoulder "new style" in 2013. Both sucked, but the arthoscopic (spelling?) was much better. PT was a pain, but I embraced it vigorously, esp when left arm was done. (try to get that elbow under the rifle) - I didn't use a motorized chair, and I started working out as soon as doc said it was OK. I hated going through it, but it had to be done. Tulsa Bone and Joint did the first, and I refuse to use them again, Central States Ortho did the second, and I recommend them highly.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a year post op this month. I would say I have 90-95 % flexibility and strength back. Biggest key is rehab. I started the first day after surgery working on moving it. I did the stretches like 5 times a day. The first month is key. It hurts a lot and you have to push through pain. I know about 5 people that have had shoulder surgery. The ones who haven't returned to near normal all slacked on therapy. Those that worked hard had successful recoveries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rotator cuff for me, no surgery, eight months of PT and about 95%.
Waiting on wife to have her knee surgery today. Arthroscopic and hope it goes fine. Just informed that she would've going home with ice machine to help reduce swelling.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
kinda hard to type so far. had the surg done on thursday. wasn't what he expected. couldn't do it with the scope. had both a torn muscle and complete separation of the tendon. no idea what comes next except lots of pt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom