Shoulder Surgery. Anyone had it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't have good luck with Orthopedic Associates on NW Expressway either.

I did have another doctor there, not Dr. Tom Flesher, at Orthpedic Associates try to repair a totally ruptured Achilles tendon...he did two surgeries on me and both failed miserably. Went to another doc and he tried to make me a new tendon out of part of my calf...but hey that's a whole 'nother story (it failed too; as did sugeries number 4 and 5). If you MUST ever get a ruptured Achilles tendon repaired surgically; all I can say is God help you. I'll take two torn rotator cuffs and a broken pelvis plus one to the hip over tearing my damned Achilles tendon any day. And that's a no-shizzer.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't tell you about any Doctors here in Oklahoma as the Navy did mine in 2002. Had to have a mumford procedure as they found out it was worse than they thought it would be when scoping it. What I can tell you is that it is very important to do the physical therapy after the surgery even if it seems stupid or is painful.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't tell you about any Doctors here in Oklahoma as the Navy did mine in 2002. Had to have a mumford procedure as they found out it was worse than they thought it would be when scoping it. What I can tell you is that it is very important to do the physical therapy after the surgery even if it seems stupid or is painful.

Yep, the PT is critical. Follow their instructions and you might get full use of that shoulder back, or damn near it anyway. Whatever/whichever way you go, best of luck with it man.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a small tear for years.............and have been putting it off like the plague. There's just certain motions I don't do with that arm. Everyone I know that's had knee surgery said they wished they would have done it sooner. Everyone I know that's had that shoulder surgery, said they wished they would have just kept putting it off. I don't really have a three month time during the year that I want to be down...........and I refuse to wipe with the other hand for three months! :)

I'm in the same boat, I've had small tear for years in my left shoulder (I'm right handed) and I don't want to go through what I've heard from others I've spoken to with sometimes iffy results.

Somethings I can do just fine without any problems and somethings I can't.......I just try to watch it.

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dr. James Bond in Norman did mine on a Thursday, I had maxed out the PT lifting chair by Sunday eve and I was out of the sling by Monday afternoon and today its as if I never torn it in the first place so I would definitely give him two thumbs up. The rumor around town it that he also fixed Bradford's before he graduated.

http://www.osoi.com/page/info/james-bond

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. And any additional that may still be to come.

This thing is scarring the crap out of me.

My hands are my livelihood.

Right now, I can do most of my work OK with minimal positional pain, however he said that if I stayed where I was, I'd need a shoulder or reverse-shoulder replacement inside of 5 years.

I'm thinking a call the the physical therapy clinic on Tuesday will be in order to talk proactively with them.

Dave

I certainly understand your hesitation. It is, or can be, a life changing decision. You are an intelligent man. Do your research, and then let your heart be your guide. Nothing to be scared of ... just go in with both eyes open so you know what to expect. It is not an easy path, but certainly not insurmountable. You will come out on the other side of it in much better condition. I'm sure of it.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. And any additional that may still be to come.

Dorothy fell with her hand out and broke and jammed her elbow 2/3 of the way up her shoulder. After the doctors down here pretty much gave up with a "you'll never get any use out of that again" her physical therapist recommended Dr. Funderburk at McBride. First he fixed her shoulder, then rebuild the elbow capsule, and finally rerouted the nerves to her hand. Even the physical therapist that saw her before and worked with her after was impressed with the final outcome - full normal use with the exception of having just short of full extension in the elbow. Her only longer term negative is that her "funny bone" is anything but funny now.

I wasn't the patient of course, but for whatever it's worth I was very impressed with every aspect of how she was treated and taken care of by the entire staff at all of McBride's facilities that we visited - main clinic downtown, surgery center toward Edmond, and imaging center near Norman.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had mine done at Andrews AFB in Sept 06. Torn labrum, bicep tendon, foreign object floating around, bad AC joint alignment. There were times picking up a cup of coffee was excruciating, let alone playing with my kids.

I didn't get a chair. Went home with a morphine pump going into the neck that was my lifesaver. Don't take a drug test with one of those in. You come up hot for morphine. Who knew! (LOL!) My commander dang sure didn't.

I will say this, I am glad I had it done, even if it destroyed my golf swing for a couple of years. Physical Therapy was pretty bad. I had a clearance and would have told her anything she wanted to know if she would have asked. She knew my name, rank, and social quite well and heard the Soldier's and NCO creed (distraction from pain/discomfort) a lot! Compared to the knees, physical therapy is no comparison.

If you trust the doc, and think pros outweigh the cons, go for it. Also, can it or will it get worse? Can it lead to nerve damage if untreated?

Your hands might be your livelihood, but your shoulder keeps them going.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA SPORTS & ORTHOPEDICS INSTITUTE
Dr. Timothy M. Geib, MD

Dr. Geib repaired my right shoulder two summers ago. Took a total of three pain pills when I was released. I had people tell me how bad the rehab was going to be which had me scared. I had very little pain, just a little discomfort. I kept going back for the shoulder messages.
Btw, my rehab guy went to Dr. Geib to have his own knee done, that said a lot for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom