Smart Meters, Yay!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a load of crap! How do people come up with this stuff and actually talk about it in a way as if they really knew? He had to sit around and think about this for a long time to be able to make his little plot come together.

Smart meters tell how much you use (just like the old ones), what demand you put on the system (just like the old ones) and sometimes the time of day you are using the most, other than that, the only thing they do is eliminate the meter reader.

Other than this, all you have to do to beat the system is go wrap tin foil around the meter! (No!, I'm really kidding!)

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I work for OGE and this guy is a freaking idiot who is just trying to incite mayhem and cause confusion.

We can remotely read, disconnect and reconnect the meters that have been replaced with smart meters. The meters takes reads in 15 minute increments so yes we can see spikes and or lulls in usage which helps us know when out peak load times are and when the non peak times are, this is called demand side management which helps us know if we have enough power to supply all of our customers so we dont end up like california did years ago.

Did you know that an electric utility company has to have enough reserve energy on hand that if the largest producing power plant was taken off line that we can still supply enough electricity to handle our normal load and then some? Where do you think this info comes from, just random guesses and such?

This metering technology not only will help us with metering and billing but it also tells us issues with in our system like over/under voltage, tempatures inside of the meter base which could indicate a potential failure due to high load demands at the address which in turn could either damage the meter and or potentially cause a customer home to catch on fire, all of that info is relayed to us form the meter now.

Once the smart meters are deployed thru our entire area we will have real time info on outage, exactly who's homes are out and the cusotmers will not have to call in to report the outage anymore since we will already know this info.

and on the side note of trying to refuse to accept a smart meter at your home, sure you can try. You can refuse and you can get your attorney. In the end you will lose the fight, we will either pull your meter until you agree to accept the meter or you will sit in the hot/cold/dark without electricity until you agree to having the meter on the home. This is the metering technology we use now, it was accepted by the State of OK and approved by them. We lead the country in our goal to be energy conservative and to do our part in making sure we are not wasting energy. It takes money, time and resources to make electricity.

if we have to build a new plant before 2020 the rates increases will be so large that no cusotmer in OK will be happy at all, rough estimate is $1 billion for one new plant. It is bad enough right now we are trying to fight the EPA on the new clean air act. That act alone if we are forced to comply will add about $1 billion in costs for us to retro each of our power plants to meet their requirements, once again costs that will be directly passed onto the rate payers.

So this is why this guy is an idiot, he knows nothing other than a tin foil theory that he hopes to get people all sitrred up over.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens... I would like to agree and get all worried about the fact they watch my electricity, but since I don't grow pot I really don't care.

Police confuse bitcoin power usage for pot farm
http://blogs.computerworld.com/1833...oin_power_usage_for_pot_farm?source=rss_blogs

Yeah, but what if you "own several suspicious guns"? I'd say this guy is about 85% crackpot, but he's got the same legitimate concerns that a lot of other folks who were called crackpots have had - many of those concerns became a reality.

Remember when it was absurd that they would track your purchases with the grocery-store "member's card" until they actually did that to the fireman who was investigated for burning his house down because he bought some lighters with his card?

The problem with any sort of data-collection is that today's technology allows for the data to remain forever. By itself, power-consumption data isn't a lot, but it can be used to tell certain things about you that you may not want to disclose (where as older meter technology didn't provide specific times-of-the-day that you used your power). Combine that with a lot of the other things that "no one would ever use against you" and you give up a lot of specifics about your life that you once thought was private.

To those who say "I don't do anything wrong, so I don't have to worry", remember that it was not too long ago when there was a movement amongst some on capital hill that wanted to look at gun-owning, "over-patriotic" US citizens as potential domestic terrorists (and then the media produced several TV shows and news documentaries featuring Waco-style militias). Don't think for a minute that the folks who really crave your rights won't step across that line.

I'm no tinfoil hat-club member, but I continue to be astounded at the sorts of things that actually come to reality when I thought there was no way it could happen.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all to say that abnormal power usage is probable cause to believe your growing pot is absurd....power usage is only a small building block in probable cause for something like this and Law Enforcement has been able to look at power consumption since the inception of electric power. Shesh.....

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a start up company that is developing "smart outlets". The idea is that a network signal can piggy back on the power line, each outlet will have somewhat of an IP address. The concept is the Customer will have the ability to "prioritize" power use in the home, so the power company could shut down outlets if needed to control over capacity situations. I laughed when I heard the idea, we are spoiled in the US where we get "unlimited" electric power nearly 24x7. Some countries get power 8 hours a day or less, this product probably applies more to them, for now....

Latest posts

Top Bottom