Smart Meters, Yay!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I forgot, invasion of privacy in the home doesn't cover electricity usage. Thanks for clarifying, guys!!! Nothing to worry about here! Move along!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on what you consider privacy versus what you consent to share. I mean, we don't choose our provider, the corporation commission does. But we can opt out by relying on solar, wind, generator, or other sources (however impractical). When we accept the terms to receive power, we consent to a lot by doing so. But if we wish to opt out, we forfeit being "on the grid." It's also worth noting that the utility companies are private, not government, entities.

It's not as tin foil as many like to believe, but I would think it's not entirely innocuous either. Regardless our hands are tied.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It all depends on what you consider privacy versus what you consent to share. I mean, we don't choose our provider, the corporation commission does. But we can opt out by relying on solar, wind, generator, or other sources (however impractical). When we accept the terms to receive power, we consent to a lot by doing so. But if we wish to opt out, we forfeit being "on the grid." It's also worth noting that the utility companies are private, not government, entities.

It's not as tin foil as many like to believe, but I would think it's not entirely innocuous either. Regardless our hands are tied.

I agree in the sense that these are private companies but unfortunately, my faith in a wiretapping-happy government doesn't amount to much. And honestly, when it comes to big government and big corporations there isn't much difference anymore when you see who's lining the pockets of who. I guess we'll just need to wait and see.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MaddSkillz said:
That's what they're called when people are in denial.

No, that's what they're called when people jump to wild conclusions about new technology that they don't understand. How would the government be able to find your grow-op easier using only finer granularity of power usage readings? How would that be any easier than, "hey, that guy sure uses a lot of power!" which they can do anyways.

Please tell me what you think the Advanced Metering Infrastructure is now, and will be someday.

Because thats very cost effective...

He was being sarcastic, homeskillet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom