Smith 5906, Did I get ripped off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a Smith 5906 a few days ago for $480. The guy said it was like new but when I looked at it I noticed some scratches on the slide. I thought I could probably buff them out so I did the deal. When I got home I noticed part of the hammer was chipped off, the rear site was dented and many more scratches around the front of the slide. I think this was a police trade-in. He misrepresented the deal for sure but my fault for not looking it over more carefully. I figure this thing is probably worth more like $380 and I'm thnking of calling him back and asking to return. Thoughts, suggestions?

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Private owner or dealer? If you can't take it back, put it down as a $100 payment on lesson learned.

Don't feel bad....it's happen to almost everyone one of us at one time or another.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I paid a new price for a used shotgun before. Maybe me feel dirty. Lol. But I chalked it up to all the good deals I've gotten before and Karma equalling it out. Plus he had a bunch of badass wwII guns he showed me so it was worth it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cdnn was blowing those out for $299 for used but good condition not too long ago..... $480 is REALLY high.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
On Gunbroker for ~$325-$350.

On the plus side, at least it's a decent gun.

I've got too much in my 700, so I understand the feeling. But in the long run, it's not that big a deal.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though you learned the lesson don't be afraid to take your time when doing a FTF transaction. Sometimes we can put pressure on ourselves to make the deal and get out of dodge, over time I have learned to do my due diligence up front so I will be happy with it later. Don't be afraid to say no and keep your money in your pocket.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From your description, yes it probably was a police trade in, and you did pay too much for it. On the other hand, you learned lesson, and you have a great gun on hand. S&W third generation pistols are under appreciated. The 5906 is a good gun that is a lot of fun to shoot. Chalk this up to experience, and go out and enjoy your gun.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lesson like this will save you a bunch in the future. Yep you are heavy in it, but whatever, 3rd gen smiths are the cats meow. Heavy bastages after all the plastic guns these days, but damn fine and really expensive in their day.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
lesson like this will save you a bunch in the future. Yep you are heavy in it, but whatever, 3rd gen smiths are the cats meow. Heavy bastages after all the plastic guns these days, but damn fine and really expensive in their day.

The weight makes them nice range guns. Soft recoiling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom