Snake ID

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dekays brown snake I found while mowing earlier today.
IMG_1581.jpeg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rounded head and eyes generally means non venomous. Don’t mind snakes, they are usually not usual bothersome. Now spiders… the only good one is a dead one. Any that I see get the Texas two step haha. Also hate Spider-Man.

Snakes don't bother me and I can usually tell the dangerous types from the non-dangerous. I'm just not familiar with these two species I've seen today. Most of my experience is with various rattlesnakes and bullsnakes and such from more western states.

The little racer zipped off into the leaves accumulated up next to the fence. I just wasn't sure what the hognose was so I relocated him across the road. Now that I know what they are I won't worry about the dogs or goats getting bit.

The hognose was really putting on quite a display of being injured and then dead. Pretty interesting to watch their behavior.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK... I've been in OK for 4 years and I've seen 1 snake before today. I just found this guy in front of my shop. He looks like what I've always called a bull snake. But he wasn't acting like I've seen bull snakes act. I have seen them puff out their "neck" like that, though. I picked him up with a rake and he opened his mouth really wide and a tan-colored liquid spewed out. and he started writhing really weirdly and trying to bite his own body. Never seen anything like it before.

View attachment 375367View attachment 375368
Hognose.
They are really aggressive acting as a bluff. If you mess with them enough, they will roll over on their back and play dead.
You can roll them back onto their belly and they will roll back over onto their back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rounded head and eyes generally means non venomous. Don’t mind snakes, they are usually not usual bothersome. Now spiders… the only good one is a dead one. Any that I see get the Texas two step haha. Also hate Spider-Man.
Coral snakes being the only exception to the round eyes are non venomous.

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snakes don't bother me and I can usually tell the dangerous types from the non-dangerous. I'm just not familiar with these two species I've seen today. Most of my experience is with various rattlesnakes and bullsnakes and such from more western states.

The little racer zipped off into the leaves accumulated up next to the fence. I just wasn't sure what the hognose was so I relocated him across the road. Now that I know what they are I won't worry about the dogs or goats getting bit.

The hognose was really putting on quite a display of being injured and then dead. Pretty interesting to watch their behavior.
Snakes can act really weird. My first experience was as a child visiting family in the Midwest. They have blue racers there. This snake chased and outran me the whole way from the field to the house. Every time I would stop he would stop and look at me like “are we racing or what?” As soon as I ran he was right there with me. Terrifying for a 6/7 year old.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was gently antagonizing a bullsnake in my yard in Idaho one day. He was doing his damnedest to convince me he was a rattlesnake. Flattened head into a triangle, rattling his tail in the gravel...very fierce looking guy. I saw them frequently around the house there. Unfortunately, I saw the real deal rattlers, too. The rattlesnakes always went before the (Taurus) Judge for sentencing and it was always the death penalty. Couldn't afford for the wife or the dogs (or me) to get bit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was gently antagonizing a bullsnake in my yard in Idaho one day. He was doing his damnedest to convince me he was a rattlesnake. Flattened head into a triangle, rattling his tail in the gravel...very fierce looking guy. I saw them frequently around the house there. Unfortunately, I saw the real deal rattlers, too. The rattlesnakes always went before the (Taurus) Judge for sentencing and it was always the death penalty. Couldn't afford for the wife or the dogs (or me) to get bit.
We have three identified snakes around the house. Grass snakes, black rat snakes and copperheads.
The wife wants to kill them all and do so if I'm not around for the rescue.
Copperheads are acceptable to be killed though by either of us. Two dogs bit, both recovered but had major health issues later that required putting them down.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife doesn't understand why I won't just kill any snake I come across. Intellectually she knows they serve a purpose. Emotionally she doesn't care...she just wants them dead. And I'm OK with that for the dangerous ones. Sometimes Mr Snake's gotta take one for the team. But I'm the guy that'll stop and help a turtle across the road so it doesn't get squished. I take spiders outside rather than kill them. I've tried to get her to understand that life has value to me. She's learning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom