So I had my first wreck today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said I've never been through this so I'm clueless..
Obviously

I was stationed In Wash DC twice...the home of tailgating and rear enders. I either saw or came upon a rear ender every day commuting to work for 5 years. I was hit 3 times WHILE SITTING STOPPED IN TRAFFIC. Two of the drivers tried to "fight it" and dug themselves holes you would not believe. One lost her license and the other lost major points off the license in court and was ordered to pay all costs, including my court costs. One passenger was arrested for attempted assault at the wreck in front of the officer.
If you don't mind advice from an old guy who has been through it a lot, be THANKFUL you did not get a ticket, SHUT UP and let your insurance company do its thing. Just answer the questions your insurance company asks, period.
And in the future, remember that you are legally responsible for controlling your vehicle and not rear ending the vehicle in front of you, no matter what the vehicle or what the idiot does. In other words, assume the Porsche 911 in front of you is going to slam on the brakes and stop in 100ft from 60 at any minute, and be prepared to stop whatever you are driving before you hit him. You'll get there just as quick, and will be an exceptional driver. When a driver cuts past you so he can tailgate the driver in front of you, well, he's not tailgating you then: congratulate yourself!
Even in little Altus, half the drivers are following too close and speeding for no reason, in a town so small I can drive edge to edge in 10 minutes. And they wonder why insurance is so high....

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was stationed In Wash DC twice...the home of tailgating and rear enders. I either saw or came upon a rear ender every day commuting to work for 5 years. I was hit 3 times WHILE SITTING STOPPED IN TRAFFIC. Two of the drivers tried to "fight it" and dug themselves holes you would not believe. One lost her license and the other lost major points off the license in court and was ordered to pay all costs, including my court costs. One passenger was arrested for attempted assault at the wreck in front of the officer.
If you don't mind advice from an old guy who has been through it a lot, be THANKFUL you did not get a ticket, SHUT UP and let your insurance company do its thing. Just answer the questions your insurance company asks, period.
And in the future, remember that you are legally responsible for controlling your vehicle and not rear ending the vehicle in front of you, no matter what the vehicle or what the idiot does. In other words, assume the Porsche 911 in front of you is going to slam on the brakes and stop in 100ft from 60 at any minute, and be prepared to stop whatever you are driving before you hit him. You'll get there just as quick, and will be an exceptional driver. When a driver cuts past you so he can tailgate the driver in front of you, well, he's not tailgating you then: congratulate yourself!
Even in little Altus, half the drivers are following too close and speeding for no reason, in a town so small I can drive edge to edge in 10 minutes. And they wonder why insurance is so high....
That's the truth, could've been much worse.
I ate a lot of crow as I always gripe about my wife's driving habits hahaha

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive across Tulsa/Sapulpa/Catoosa/Claremore 5 days a week and I'm good for seeing one of these about every 2 months. They crack me up. I put my flashers on when I have to brake hard for slowing traffic. That and luck has saved me. Yuppie soccer moms are 70% of the ones I've seen do this.

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like someone else mentioned, car lengths are so 60's. Two seconds is how far back you should be. At highway speeds, that's a lot farther than you think. Besides, few people can accurately gauge car lengths.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pay it and suck it up. In three years, when it's off your record, shop around for another insurance company, your current one might not forgive you.
Stop following so close. Like Waltherfan says, 2 - 4 seconds following distance.

If someone ever tries a swoop 'n' stoop on you (cuts you off, then brakes to make you rear end them), The phraseology is "He took away my following distance."
And get a dashcam.

Latest posts

Top Bottom