Some Things Never Change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure lots of college athletes don't just "happen to play sports". I'd bet several got there by excelling at sports. Therefore they need to stay sharp to be an asset to the schools program.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
To be clear, the OU alcohol policy spells out what the University’s response will be:

INDIVIDUAL SANCTIONS:
The following sanctions are mandatory minimum sanctions for alcohol violations. Based on the severity of the infraction, the University reserves the right to impose any appropriate additional sanction(s). Any violation by an individual student remains part of the individual’s record until graduation. If a student is suspended after the 3rd strike and is readmitted to the University of Oklahoma, the student is readmitted with 2 strikes.
1st Strike
• Parent/Guardian notification via return receipt certified mail.
• $75.00 administrative fee.
• Satisfactorily complete a defined alcohol education program.
• Censure. The notation of Censure shall be removed upon graduation from the University of
Oklahoma subject to completion of disciplinary sanctions.

Further, it should be noted that the guy is subject to the filing of criminal charges for statutory violation. Like any other defendant, he is subject to a range of punishment.

So what you’re asking is essentially “what additional punishment should Lincoln Riley assess on top of the punishments already assessed by the University and the State?”

Is that a fair interpretation of your question?

Edit: I haven’t read the news stories so I don’t know if his charges will be filed in District or Municipal court. However, poly sci 101 reminds us that our municipalities are entirely creatures of the state, and have no authority that is not granted by the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I’m asking. If you are the coach of a team striving to be the best in the nation and one of your starting players is arrested for public intoxication what action, if any, would you take? I’m not sure how I can make it any simpler but thanks for copying and pasting the rules I posted earlier. If I were the head coach of ANY college team he would be sitting out Saturday. Just my opinion, the replies of all but one of you pretty much sum up that most of you either disagree or are too shy to share you’re opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
WHY???!? They are no different than any of the other kids attending college. None. Zero. They just happen to play sports. You claim that these kids think they are better than others yet turn around and want to put them on a pedestal. And I said we don't care because it will be handled by the coaches and athletic department. And show me how they are "hardly ever enforced". You don't mean that, you mean "they didn't kick x player off the team because y happened". No matter what punishment is dealt out your hate for OU means nothing will be enough except expulsion from the team. Don't tell me that isn't true, I've had plenty of discussions like this with OSU fans over the last several years in regards to Broyles, Mixon, Mayfield and others. They conveniently forget players like Woods, Williams, Moore, and plenty others who were released due to violating rules.

As I said, if he is underage, then yes he should be punished. If he was of age to legally drink (being a sophomore has nothing to do with it, I turned 21 my sophomore year) then nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING should be done as this is a simple mistake that even adults make sometimes.

Wrong again or should I say still. All I’ve said is he should have to sit out at least 1 game. You sure list a lot of examples tof others that haven’t been held accountable or had “action that was handled internally”. If he is underage, what would YOU do as punishment?

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We played like **** and dont deserve that as a win

Exactly. Refer to the OSU thread for opinions on that game. Sooner fans sure are reluctant to say what they would do if they were Riley. If it was an OSU player you can bet (which no Sooner fan has yet) that he would be sitting out the next game.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
43 posts and not 1 single Sooner fan has said he should be held accountable.

Hate to break it to you, but I’m the furthest thing from an OU fan. In fact the only thing I dislike more than OU is bullsh*t laws with no victim. One of which is public intox.

Latest posts

Top Bottom