Somebody is shooting rabbits in the neighborhood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One could make a good argument for protecting ones crops from depredation.
That being said, a blunt-nose "thumper" arrow would work quite well on such a relatively fragile animal like a cotton tail.
And, danger to bystanders would be minimized.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure they're any more/less humane than using blunts, which kill small game by impact/shock. :anyone:
They're incredibly less humane. They poke a hole and can leave very little trauma. Blunts on rabbits will break bones and wreck the nervous system, circulatory system, everything.

assets.nydailynews.com_polopoly_fs_1.1069241__img_httpImage_imcd3c2849dabc1f35326c591cdec5a679.jpg

ff09c6f058a010de3d2a746357faa5bf.jpg

i4.mirror.co.uk_incoming_article7247758.ece_ALTERNATES_s615_op0596fbba389c325390d96b161ebc21ad.jpg

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're incredibly less humane. They poke a hole and can leave very little trauma. Blunts on rabbits will break bones and wreck the nervous system, circulatory system, everything.

assets.nydailynews.com_polopoly_fs_1.1069241__img_httpImage_imcd3c2849dabc1f35326c591cdec5a679.jpg
Arrow kills are rarely quick and clean in any case, but (as with a firearm) shot placement is key.

Geese aren't exactly the "rabbit-sized targets" mentioned in my post, but I dare say a jacketed .22LR in the exact same spot wouldn't have killed that goose either, just left a hole. That's a obviously a fluke shot, and odds of repeating it are astronomical. ;)

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those practice arrows will sometimes only pass half way through and stay in place and block any bleed-out, not doing enough damage for a clean kill. I don't even like the new 'environmentally safe' pesticides that don't kill rapidly.

I sprayed a hornet's nest yesterday(small, just beginning) that had about 4 or 5 hornets on it. I got them all, but two hours later, a couple of them that had fallen straight down to the patio were still wriggling around. I put them out of their misery, but those that were able to fly off must have suffered a lot longer. Yeah, they were hornets, but still ...

Woody

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those practice arrows will sometimes only pass half way through and stay in place and block any bleed-out, not doing enough damage for a clean kill. I don't even like the new 'environmentally safe' pesticides that don't kill rapidly.

I sprayed a hornet's nest yesterday(small, just beginning) that had about 4 or 5 hornets on it. I got them all, but two hours later, a couple of them that had fallen straight down to the patio were still wriggling around. I put them out of their misery, but those that were able to fly off must have suffered a lot longer. Yeah, they were hornets, but still ...

Woody
That's one of the reasons I prefer spring traps to poison for rodents; bleeding internally for three days from warfarin poisoning is a hell of a way to die....

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arrow kills are rarely quick and clean in any case, but (as with a firearm) shot placement is key.

Geese aren't exactly the "rabbit-sized targets" mentioned in my post, but I dare say a jacketed .22LR in the exact same spot wouldn't have killed that goose either, just left a hole. That's a obviously a fluke shot, and odds of repeating it are astronomical. ;)
I agree

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in a suburban neighborhood and have watched 3 baby rabbits for the last month running around the yard. They were fun to watch until I caught one eating my cantaloupe plants. I'm planning to dispatch these "bunnies" with my .22 pellet rifle. Anybody like young rabbit for the dinner table?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm little torn on this issue. I shoot pest. Skunks, snakes, Armadillos and so one, with no intention to eat what I shoot.
Non lethal traps don't always work. If rabbits are destroying your garden, I understand why you get rid of them as quickly as possible with whatever works.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered it's likely some stupid kid or younger teen with a new "toy?" I did some stupid stuff like this when I was younger. I agree that not dispatching the pest in a quick and humane fashion is in poor taste; however, dumb youngsters, like I once was, lack the reasoning skills to make the best decisions.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom