Somebody is shooting rabbits in the neighborhood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered it's likely some stupid kid or younger teen with a new "toy?" I did some stupid stuff like this when I was younger. I agree that not dispatching the pest in a quick and humane fashion is in poor taste; however, dumb youngsters, like I once was, lack the reasoning skills to make the best decisions.

Just a thought.
I haven't got there yet....and I'm running out of time. Ha!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered it's likely some stupid kid or younger teen with a new "toy?" I did some stupid stuff like this when I was younger. I agree that not dispatching the pest in a quick and humane fashion is in poor taste; however, dumb youngsters, like I once was, lack the reasoning skills to make the best decisions.

Just a thought.
Dunno... kinda unlikely a kid with a new toy could hit a rabbit, though in town they might be tame enough to approach up close.

Looks like the lucky rabbit's foot theory is out the window in any case... :D

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm little torn on this issue. I shoot pest. Skunks, snakes, Armadillos and so one, with no intention to eat what I shoot.
Non lethal traps don't always work. If rabbits are destroying your garden, I understand why you get rid of them as quickly as possible with whatever works.
When we had a garden, I put chicken wire around the fence to keep out rabbits and such. They also make "rabbit wire" which is sort of a miniature version of field fencing.

I've never hunted small game near our home, because we always got more enjoyment out of watching the rabbits and squirrels than a meal or two would provide. :drunk2:

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i live in edmond, have rabbits all over the place. i like watching them munch on stuff, i plant enough garden cause rabbits have to eat too, they're just doing what rabbits do. eat and breed is their job, if they annoy you plant more garden so there is food for all, it's not like you're going to starve to death because a rabbit ate all your veggies/fruits. kill them to eat during season, if you kill them out of season because they annoy you i hope you get busted for it.

entering bunker now

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me, I did it. I threw a machete at one once and killed it. Also shot one with a lil' Sioux bow. If you happen upon one they run about 15' and then stop. That's a big mistake on their part when someone has a bow, firearm, air rifle, machete, etc. It's a rabbit, not a lady bug, they ain't that hard to hit.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we had a garden, I put chicken wire around the fence to keep out rabbits and such. They also make "rabbit wire" which is sort of a miniature version of field fencing.

I've never hunted small game near our home, because we always got more enjoyment out of watching the rabbits and squirrels than a meal or two would provide. :drunk2:

We did the same.

i live in edmond, have rabbits all over the place. i like watching them munch on stuff, i plant enough garden cause rabbits have to eat too, they're just doing what rabbits do. eat and breed is their job, if they annoy you plant more garden so there is food for all, it's not like you're going to starve to death because a rabbit ate all your veggies/fruits. kill them to eat during season, if you kill them out of season because they annoy you i hope you get busted for it.

entering bunker now

Another good way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now let's talk about shooting a bow in town.... it's very dangerous to do so. What if they miss and it goes through a slat in the fence? It could wound or kill a home owner. Just my .02.
I'll multiply the .02.
When I lived in town 30 years ago, we had a 6' privacy fence around the yard. I set 4 straw bales that had a compression device attached to make sure the bales were tight and in a corner of the yard next to the fence.
Shot the center out of the bales without thinking about it over a period of time without rechecking the compression device. (2X12 boards top and bottom with all thread and turnbuckles to tighten.)
Finally one found a hole in the bale, went right through a gap in the fence, deflected up into the air where I could watch it fly off. Ran to the fence and saw a couple of kids looking at it sticking in a yard.
Put my stuff up, got rid of the bales, and never shot in town again. We moved to the country a year later, but that put the fear of God in me seeing those kids looking at that arrow.
That my friends is why you don't shoot a bow in town.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't condone nor would I ever condone shooting a bow in town, but I have shot pellets and BB guns in my yard.

But rabbits can multiply ....well..l.l.l like rabbits .....they can easily overpopulate an area . It's not uncommon to see 10 or 20 rabbits in my 1/4 mile drive into the hood. They can also bring coyotes with them we've seen more coyotes in the ever before, I know they are thick 3 miles away but didn't think I'd see them in the neighborhood.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I like the idea of putting wire up; I hadn't considered that. They are fun to watch and are almost tame around my house. It would be like shooting a family pet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom