Sony TV Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Sony KDF-E42A10. That is a 42 inch LCD projection TV. It is 6 years old. It has started turning itself off after a couple minutes. It will then flash a standby indicator light on the control panel for 30 seconds or so, then come back on for 30-40 seconds, then do it again.

I cleaned all the dust out of the place where the projection lamp lives. I cannot feel any heat coming from the lamp area. I am not sure if the fan is running - I do get a little noise from the TV operating. The picture is plenty bright, so I think the lamp itself is OK.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Lacking that, the closest Sony authorized repair shop in Tulsa is DTR Technologies [on 42nd near Memorial, I think]. Have any of you had any good or bad experience with them?

Thanks.

jej

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jej said:
I have a Sony KDF-E42A10. That is a 42 inch LCD projection TV. It is 6 years old. It has started turning itself off after a couple minutes. It will then flash a standby indicator light on the control panel for 30 seconds or so, then come back on for 30-40 seconds, then do it again.

I cleaned all the dust out of the place where the projection lamp lives. I cannot feel any heat coming from the lamp area. I am not sure if the fan is running - I do get a little noise from the TV operating. The picture is plenty bright, so I think the lamp itself is OK.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Lacking that, the closest Sony authorized repair shop in Tulsa is DTR Technologies [on 42nd near Memorial, I think]. Have any of you had any good or bad experience with them?

Thanks.

jej

Sounds like you have a cold solder on the board. How many times does the indicator light flash? If you have a bad loose connection from a poor solder that can be easily found and repaired.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sound like a cold solder on the board. This would be an easy fix if you can pull the board and locate the bad connection.

Question,

How many times does the light flash before it comes back on?

This can be an error code.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sound like a cold solder on the board. This would be an easy fix if you can pull the board and locate the bad connection.

Question,

How many times does the light flash before it comes back on?

This can be an error code.

Thx.

The standby light blinks continually and quickly until it comes back on.

jej

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 50 inch version of this same TV. Had the same problem about a year ago. First i cleaned the top of the bulb housing to remove all of the dust. This helped for about a month. Finally, I replaced the bulb and it has been working ever since.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 50 inch version of this same TV. Had the same problem about a year ago. First i cleaned the top of the bulb housing to remove all of the dust. This helped for about a month. Finally, I replaced the bulb and it has been working ever since.

My picture is still plenty bright. Had your faded at all?

I suspect I have a dead fan. Is the fan part of the bulb assembly?

jej

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize how much it had faded, until I put the new bulb in, then it was very obvious. The fan is very quiet and hard to detect if it is running. Once you pull the bulb you can use a flashlight to see the fan behind it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom