State Schrool Superintendent Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be. I believe the difference to be, you, we, were likely expected to have a good grasp of the basic elements required in the performance of mathematics. I'd guess, you too, were exposed to the early grade memorization and repetition of all your basic numerical equations to at least 12. Today, kids don't get that.....they are not expected to know it, therefore they don't.

What you are describing, attributed to Saxon, was taught over the course of a semester or perhaps a school year. The current thinking, from my limited understanding, is that the repetition comes over the course of several years. I'd guess this is why scores that represent mathematics proficiency have been dropping.

They have never mastered the basics and the refresh is another exposure, but not mastery.

Here's kind of an interesting article about the vision which is supported by common core. Note it is only one element of many.

http://www.redstate.com/diary/spunkypundit/2014/06/20/common-core-cradle-career-pathway-servitude/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom