Swede sporter question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a sporterized swede mauser last week. Fired it a couple of times and found it to be very easy on the shoulder. It has a 24in barrel. Anyone have an idea how much I could shorten the barrel without affecting accuracy?

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming a proper job of cutting the barrel and crowning the muzzle, the barrel can be shortened to the legal limit of, I believe, 16.5" without affecting accuracy adversely. Obviously, muzzle velocity will suffer.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus 1 for TR's response. Shortening a barrel does not affect accuracy if done right. Longer barrels do offer a longer site radius which will usually contribute to better accuracy and more velocity.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree that you can chop it down quite a bit without really affecting accuracy. The WAY you cut it down, though can have a big effect. Just as an FYI, the barrel will have to be re-crowned after being cut down, which can have a very big impact on accuracy. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you wanted to do it yourself. Not saying you can't crown it, but it definitely isn't a trivial operation.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I would guess you'd lose 100 to 200 feet per second. Not really enough to worry about unless you're going to do a lot of shooting over 250 yards or so. The shorter length makes it a lot more handy and worth the tradeoff, at least for me. My favorite bolt gun is a savage scout, 308, 20 inch barrel, a great little do everything rifle

Latest posts

Top Bottom