1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Swedish Mauser

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by fulton4495, Jun 11, 2010.

1. fulton4495

fulton4495 Sharpshooter Member

Just bought a Swedish Mauser the other day and i dont know much about it and was wondering if anyone knows much about it its all original parts except the stock the serial number is 524 if anyone knows anything about it or where i can get info on it let me know!

2. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter Member

www.surplusrifleforum.com and surplusrifle.com are good sites that have plenty of info about swede mausers. Is it husqvarna or carl gustavs manufacture? is it an m38 or a M96

3. z06man

z06man Sharpshooter Member

They're great rifles, commonly capable of MOA accuracy or better. Most are in good to excellent shape and it is also common to have them be all numbers matching. They are chambered in 6.5x55 Mauser. I have a couple and love them. It's also nice that major ammo makers make modern ammo in that round, so you can use it for anything from plinking to target to hunting.

Is yours a M96 or 38? Either way you should enjoy it.

4. z06man

It could be German Oberndorf made too. Or an M41 sniper. Most of this can be figured out just by reading the info on the receiver ring.

Pics? I love those rifles.

5. fulton4495

fulton4495 Sharpshooter Member

its a m96 from what i have read i will post some pics of it this weekend sometime havent got a chance to shoot it yet but i plan to this weekend and cant wait! and one more thing does anyone know anywhere around the edmond area to pick up 6.5x55 ammo checked the academy and they didnt carry it

6. z06man

I don't know any place other than gun shows that you might find surplus. I've often seen commercial at Bass Pro and occasionally at Wal-Mart. If you are willing to drive a little, King's Pawn or Brigadoon's in Del City will likely have something. You can run through it. Toward Bethany, H&H and Outdoor America would be good places to check.

7. Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow Sharpshooter Member

If you search, there are several sites that will tell you how to read the markings on the brass medallion (bore diameter, etc.).

8. 1mathom1

1mathom1 Sharpshooter Member

Always been intrigued by the 6.5x55 Swede cartridge. Would love to have modern rifle in it.

9. z06man

It's a excellent cartridge. Energy retention is fantastic. I've thought about this myself. I spent about half of last night looking at 6.5mm cartridges. It's a lot of fun in the old rifles. I want to scope one of mine, but I can't bring myself to harming one of these 100 yr old guns.

10. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter Member

+1 ! The Swedish Mausers as a whole are an excellent vintage bolt-action target rifle, right up there with the Swiss K31 and a properly-tuned Springfield 1903A3. Those three usually fill out the top 10 spots in the CMP vintage rifle competition results. Do post pics when you can, a lot of us would like to see them :)

You might try a scout mount, or a cantilevered mount if you don't want to use a LER scope:

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/class1/Swedish/m96_dual.htm