Teaching a Kid to Drive; How Much Trouble if You're Caught?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my how things have changed. I had a farm to market license at 14. learned to cross a bar ditch without dumping a load of hay real quick. if I dumped a load I had to stack it again myself, don't ask how many times that happened. Learned a lot of things on the farm. all kids should have to spend a summer or two on a farm. find a vacant field or parking lot early in the morning

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will depend on who catches you. The results above are a possibility. An officer also may give you a stern talking to and leave it at that, if he just stopped you because of a moving violation. If a wreck were to happen, all free passes are out the window.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The "suspended until 18" thing was what I was told, but wanted to confirm it. I might just cut him off of the roads (except maybe a short trip here or there), and have him navigate the high school parking lots, etc. He's gotten away with several previous 12 miles or so lessons, so that should have gotten him a little on-road experience. Don't want to hamstring him with a suspension, so back to parking lots, I guess.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He could be issued a citation for operating a motor vehicle without being licensed. The owner of the car could be cited for allowing unlicensed person to drive a motor vehicle. The insurance company can cancel your insurance, raise your rates and list him as an excluded driver.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have no opinion about the driving backwards, but I did take my kids to the High School parking lots when it was total ice on the roads, and let them do some controlled skids. real world training with no disaster looming.
In the late '90s my employer offered a "defensive driving" course (they didn't cover much that I didn't already know, but it was free and was good for a discount from State Farm), and the instructor highly recommended this. ABS was still relatively new, so he recommended going to a big lot and braking hard enough to trigger it to get a feel for it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The "suspended until 18" thing was what I was told, but wanted to confirm it. I might just cut him off of the roads (except maybe a short trip here or there), and have him navigate the high school parking lots, etc. He's gotten away with several previous 12 miles or so lessons, so that should have gotten him a little on-road experience. Don't want to hamstring him with a suspension, so back to parking lots, I guess.
I'd suggest the mall/store lots over high school lots (different enforcement rules for private vs. public property) if you don't know somebody with a farm/acreage. Unless it's December, you can usually find plenty of space at a mall lot.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man sounds like I need to get learned up on some current driving laws before I teach my son to drive. Usually there are exemptions for farmers and their children. He's still only 7 but kinda figured I would start teaching him at around 10 if he's going to be out farming with me. Don't want him to be handicapped by nanny state laws. That may be the difference in the younger workforce now as opposed to a couple decades ago.

I was started young and am better off for it. There is not a piece of machinery I can't pick up in a few minutes and minimal instruction. It would amaze you the sheer lack of ability to drive and operate machinery most kids have at 16-18. Guess when you think about it they are still new to driving when in the past many people, and everyone that lived on a farm, started driving in childhood.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm not much of a ticket writer personally, but if I pulled you over on a public road with a 13-year old driving it would get expensive for you quickly... 15 years old I'd make you switch seats, but a 13 year old has no reason to be driving on a public street. While I completely understand why you're doing it, which I fully appreciate, you're endangering others.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a riding lawn mower, have him drive it around the yard. It's not the same as driving on the road, but it does help cover some of the basics, like how to drive straight and how to turn. And if the blades happen to be on, you get your yard mowed at the same time. :)

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought you had to be a licensed driver to be a permissive driver?? Otherwise, I could tell my six year old to drive to town and not worry about it, he's covered?
No, you don't have to be a licensed driver. I've seen insurance claims where the car was wrecked after the drunk parent let their early teenager drive them to the store to buy more beer. That's a covered loss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom