Texas allows guns in college classrooms under new law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas allows guns in college classrooms under new law
Aug 1, 2016 AUSTIN, Texas

s2_reutersmedia_net_resources_r__0531b59abf3c9e8bcc2fab22c1aaeabf._.jpg

University of Texas campus in Austin

A new law went into effect in Texas on Monday that allows certain students to bring guns into classrooms, with supporters saying it could prevent mass shootings and critics saying the measure will endanger safety on campuses.

The so-called state "campus carry" law allows people 21 and older with a concealed handgun license to carry pistols in classrooms and buildings throughout public colleges, including the University of Texas system, one of the nation's largest with an enrollment of more than 214,000 students.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-guns-idUSKCN10C2FS

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's finally here. Here are the rules UT came up with: http://campuscarry.utexas.edu/policies. They actually had another rule that stated no loaded chambers, but the Regents rejected that one. The Regents also rejected people from posting "carry free" signs on personal offices...and ruled that people have to verbally tell visitors that concealed weapons aren't allowed in his/her office (lmfao).

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The majority of the faculty fought like hell to get classrooms excluded, but they couldn't stretch the law that far, so didn't get it.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, interestingly, it started today, the 50 year Memorial Anniversary of the Charles Whitman shootings from UT Tower, Aug. 1st, 1966.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot it was official today. There was a huge front page article about it in the newstands at all the HEBs (local grocery store) that said "How will campus carry change UT?" with a picture of a pistol that transformed into the UT tower at the top.

I was honestly kind of surprised it passed. I also find it funny but largely frustrating the people who think "it's scary". You are scared of the law abiding people who actually went through a class and proved they know how to handle their firearm? There is nothing sacred about the university, it's just a bunch of buildings. Anybody could walk in there with a gun tucked in their pants. Whatever.

Also, a good friend of mine's father owned a burger shop just north of the U.T. tower when then shooting happened (he was just a kid). They had to hunker inside, and his dad was pulling people in off the streets to get them out of sight. Pretty interesting to hear a first hand account.

Latest posts

Top Bottom