The 10 Greatest War Films

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not in any order,

Hunt for Red October
FMJ
Paths of Glory
Patton
Platoon
Dirty Dozen
Shindlers List
Paths of Glory
Das Boot
Run Silent, Run Deep ( dont know if it belongs on the list, but this movie intrigued me since I was a little kid. I need to watch it again)
We Were Soldiers

Technically, unless one uses the phrase "cold war", The Hunt for Red October was not really a war movie as it didn't portray a time when countries were actually in combat.

But, just for grins, I'll throw in Gettysburg and The Rough Riders, although there are others. In Harms Way, Battleground, and Battle of the Bulge come to mind. I'm sure I'll think of others later.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically, unless one uses the phrase "cold war", The Hunt for Red October was not really a war movie as it didn't portray a time when countries were actually in combat.

But, just for grins, I'll throw in Gettysburg and The Rough Riders, although there are others. In Harms Way, Battleground, and Battle of the Bulge come to mind. I'm sure I'll think of others later.

Yea I thought about it being cold war era but figured it could get a pass. If not lets use the movie U-571, like both movies its fiction, and/or innacurate on most accounts, but a pretty decent movie and similar in it being a Navy/Sub movie.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan in the first 2 minutes actually showed real war.

The rest of the movie, and any other war film is nowhere close to what really happens and what happens to the soldiers that fought real wars.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan is my all time favorite. Gotta include Bridge over the River Kwai. Run Silent Run Deep is way up there too.

Run Silent Run Deep was hard core. It was all business and would be considered politically incorrect now days. Burt Lancaster said something in that movie I remember partially, "...and the crew doesn't like showing their butt to a Jap sub!" but Clark Gable had bigger things in mind...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan in the first 2 minutes actually showed real war.

The rest of the movie, and any other war film is nowhere close to what really happens and what happens to the soldiers that fought real wars.

I agree about the first few minutes of Private Ryan... the guys I talked to who were there said they were seriously freaked out by the beach landing scene.

But... I dunno, seems like from stories I heard, some of the stuff from Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, that some of it was right on. Especially the sitting around waiting, then the crazy ridiculousness of the battles - like the hidden sniper scene in FMJ, the 1000-yard stare, stuff like that. 'Nam was a strange war, by all accounts, nothing like most of the others. No clear objectives, no clear mission... even Iraq and Afghanistan typically had small mission objectives, at least I think so.

Again, not a vet, just talked to a bunch, including luckily some WWII guys. Even met one or two from WWI a few years ago. I never got to know my dad, who was 101st in 'Nam, but it would have been interesting to get to hear his perspective.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom