The language of violence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A forum member (also a mod) soliciting creative discussion/opinions whilst threatening thread closure and then placing "rules" on what can or cannot be discussed in said solicitation. That's rich. No wonder there is no traction here.

I guess we can call out people as long it's in general terms. There's a double standard if I ever saw one.

Typical OSA (general call-out)

Just trying to avoid the all-to-common devolution that seems to occur with these types of threads. But we shall see. And it isn't a threat to censure discussion i don't approve of, but more a reminder that the forum does have rules regarding certain things and that violating the forum rules will result in closure.

Also, you can call out whomever you like, so long as it's respectful of the forum's rules.

But you're correct, 'rules' was perhaps too strong a word. 'Request' would have been better.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whether or not a misguided religious belief and the violent action taken on behalf of that belief can be related to a political aim is certainly a cloudy subject that could debated until the end of times....

Mental illness is generally always a part of these atrocious acts, but whether or not they are treatable is very questionable. Growing up in a broken home, being taught racist ideas could be considered a mental illness based on the above definition, but can you teach somebody that has these hateful ideas to reverse their thinking when we are bombarded by stereotypes from all facets of life(friends, family, media, government, etc.) day in and day out?

As already stated, but I will expand upon, violence is not just a human condition...it is a fact of life in all forms of life(from micro-organisms to macro-organisms). Prejudices are mostly a human condition as we have the intellect(or rather ignorance) to classify and stereotype anything and everything even if it is under a false pretense. Suppose we were able to eradicate racism, violence would still exist. It is saddening to think about, but cannot be dismissed. Hopefully humanity can improve understanding and acceptance of those things that are alien to us, but fear and ignorance drive many of us to act out in ways that are sometimes unfathomable. Surely there are ways we can address such issues and provide positive gain, but thinking we can end violence by doing foolish things such as disarming people is absurd.

Some of us are predators, some of us are prey(many of us are both in some form or fashion). We will never be able to control the predators in a manner that creates complete safety for the prey. That being said, what actions can we take to limit the ability of the human predator to prey and weaker humans and how can we enable human prey to be better prepared against the predator? Another debate that has no finite answer and the philosophy of it will vary greatly from one generation to the next.

I am 100% positive that the victims in this mass shooting were most certainly terrorized by the actions of this mentally ill, racist young man who was simply acting out of ignorance and hatred.

Thanks. I appreciate the thoughtful answer.

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with anyone who does this type of thing is either filled with hatred or bat crap crazy. The thing that bothered me is how the media and political folks went on and on about it all from Obummer down. My question is if a black or other denomination person killed 9 white folks would we have seen the same response?

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like SMS said these things happen because of human nature. They have always happened and will continue to happen. Im sure there are many different reasons why evil people do things like this, but most people do not want to look into that. They are lazy and want to latch on to the first, easiest explanation. People dont want to be told that there is evil out there and no matter how much you regulate or analyze it you will never be able to stop it. So instead it becomes about race or religion or sex, which all may play a role, but don't tell the whole story.

As far as the language used, "mass shooting" is just part of pushing their agenda. Mass shooting is what happens when the firing line is full and the range goes hot! These are mass killings, mass murders, mass violence. A guy killing 5 with a knife is a multiple homicide, not mass stabbing. People killed with a baseball bat or golf club are said to be killed or murdered not batted or golfed. Murder is murder no matter what object is used and I try not to go along with the "guns are bad" narrative that is being spewed.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like SMS said these things happen because of human nature. They have always happened and will continue to happen. Im sure there are many different reasons why evil people do things like this, but most people do not want to look into that. They are lazy and want to latch on to the first, easiest explanation. People dont want to be told that there is evil out there and no matter how much you regulate or analyze it you will never be able to stop it. So instead it becomes about race or religion or sex, which all may play a role, but don't tell the whole story.

As far as the language used, "mass shooting" is just part of pushing their agenda. Mass shooting is what happens when the firing line is full and the range goes hot! These are mass killings, mass murders, mass violence. A guy killing 5 with a knife is a multiple homicide, not mass stabbing. People killed with a baseball bat or golf club are said to be killed or murdered not batted or golfed. Murder is murder no matter what object is used and I try not to go along with the "guns are bad" narrative that is being spewed.

good points. Thanks

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I see the kid as a loser. He found a way to blame his worthlessness on blacks, and then committed a mass killing to somehow get a feeling of accomplishment.

Being racist is far different than being a white supremacist, which is what this kid is.

I have a feeling if he'd gotten a feeling of self-worth by identifying with Muslims, Mexicans, or any other group, that's where his focus would be, instead of white-supremacists.

We've gotten to a point that cultivates separation from society and family, while at the same time, technology allows us to "bond" over the internet with like-minded people, and that makes our delusion seem normal.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personally, I think some terms cause more of a stir and are also used as pejoratives. I also think there is a narrative the "media" is following. Anything that demonizes gun ownership and anything that can further the division between various races (but two, specifically). It's why both black on black, and black on white homicide goes unreported as opposed to these "mass shootings."

I think the way things are reported these days are very much by design. It's intentional. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm convinced someone, somewhere wants to divide us.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I think some terms cause more of a stir and are also used as pejoratives. I also think there is a narrative the "media" is following. Anything that demonizes gun ownership and anything that can further the division between various races (but two, specifically). It's why both black on black, and black on white homicide goes unreported as opposed to these "mass shootings."

I think the way things are reported these days are very much by design. It's intentional. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm convinced someone, somewhere wants to divide us.

I agree. I can't help but think the race pimps and anti-gun folks are rejoicing over what must seem like a double-bonus.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I see the kid as a loser. He found a way to blame his worthlessness on blacks, and then committed a mass killing to somehow get a feeling of accomplishment.

Being racist is far different than being a white supremacist, which is what this kid is.

I have a feeling if he'd gotten a feeling of self-worth by identifying with Muslims, Mexicans, or any other group, that's where his focus would be, instead of white-supremacists.

We've gotten to a point that cultivates separation from society and family, while at the same time, technology allows us to "bond" over the internet with like-minded people, and that makes our delusion seem normal.

Thanks. I think this and many posts could easily open another discussion about the directionality of recruitment.

i agree that on the national level things do seem unidirectional, but i think there is more reporting both ways on a more local level (i.e. you do see reports of home invasion and such. Obviously, not to the same level but they are there).

And i do also agree that many of the terms are used pejoratively against one side or the other, which is one reason i'm curious about how the language is used. The words can easily be both descriptive and dismissive.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
define:terrorism = the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

A fault with the Oxford definition is that it defines terrorism by “political” means. Subsequently it fails to define terror acts as terrorism if they are motivated by race or religion.

This is one of the excuses many make for not labeling “Islamic terrorism” as “terrorism” because they say there is no political aspect … which is wrong because it misses the point that race and religion can be critical drivers to terror acts (and that Islam is a socio-political-economic religious based operating system).

A shortened version of the FBI’s definition of “terrorism” would be any act designed to intimidate or coerce by violence or the threat of violence.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

Latest posts

Top Bottom