Tipping is out of control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Always deny. You won't let me sign a receipt that you at least hand to me?

Na, you will get nothing and deserve less, save Walmart self checkout asking me to contribute the change to world hunger.

Yall a billion $$$ a year company. Dude we know...yall keeping it.

Waffle house is still real.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only minor exception that I'd take with what she said was with pooled tips. Generally, I'm opposed to it, but there is another side to it. My old boss's daughter worked for Sonic, and she pointed out that their staff got paid the same whether they worked in the kitchen or as a car hop, but only the car hops got tips, which could make a tremendous difference in what they made. As a result, nobody wanted to work in the kitchen and everybody wanted to deliver the food, and she thought pooled tips would help with that.

Personally, I think they should pay more for working in the kitchen to make up for the lack of tips, but there's no incentive for the business to do that when your workforce is primarily made up of teenagers...

I disagree, there is incentive for the business. The wage is known upfront. IF, finding workers is a problem, either wage is too low or labor force is scarce.

Pooled tips are a joke. Sharing of tips with kitchen staff, I can somewhat agree with. I HATE the idea of tips and the entitlement mentality, it has groomed.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we opened our food truck we did not have a tip jar or offered a way to tip on our POS system. Many people asked how to tip me and I told them not to worry about it. This lead to many "complaints" from people. Eventually we put out a tip jar and turned on the tipping availability (with "no tip" being an option) and never had another complaint. We also regularly made enough in tips to cover our credit card processing fees plus another 10-20%. So, those early complaints which I listened to turned out to be a blessing.

Yes, it's interesting how so many cry about having to 'tip' a few extra bucks to someone that is working rather than sitting at home playing video games and collecting .gov benefits - those 'few extra bucks' being nothing more than just pocket-change to someone that thinks nothing of spending $100+ on a single meal for two ☹️

Agree.

I always give a tip....."Don't smoke under water, kid."

I bet restaurant workers think you're hilarious! So much so that any place you're known you're likely to get a little something extra in your order. :) (I wouldn't do this, of course, but I'm also not a teenager.)

Subway and Jersey Mikes are a few.....

It is my opinion and apparently in this forum a mostly unpopular one that if food and beverage are being created for you, offering the opportunity to tip on your credit card is completely appropriate despite the fact that I may have entered and processed payment on the order myself. If it's quick counter service I also agree that tipping isn't really required but it's still a nice thing to do, especially if you're regular at a place or have any special requirements of the staff.

You push buttons on an iPad at the register and you want a tip? No thank you. :)

A cashier only position in my opinion is not a tipping scenario. However if that pushing buttons results in a custom food or drink order, a tip is appropriate. That said, we are always able to push "no tip."

There's a boba tea shop called Tiger Sugar that does it.

Ichiban Sushi over by Wal mart on sw 5th has the same thing when I order and pick up.

Subway does too

I think these are all appropriate situations for at least a small amount of tipping. Even if you did the ordering and payment yourself, someone had to prepare your custom order and the expedite it from the kitchen before it gets placed in your hands. This especially applies if you're ordering to-go from a restaurant that has sit-down dining with waiter/waitress table service.

I can tell you this, I would never be a regular at a place with a bunch of young adults working and offers the ability to tip and not do so.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh what a crock of ****. Tipping is a social blackmail mechanism and you know it.

You even hint at it with the idea that non-tippers get spit in their food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom