Tipping is out of control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that mostly older folks are the ones who are keeping the tipping culture alive.
That's because it's the 'older folks' that know what it's like to have worked for crap pay and benefits, where tips made a real difference. In many jobs, today's kids get benefits they don't deserve and are often payed more than their worth.

Last edited:

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Since when do we take the word of a 12 year old girl about societal matters? We sure didn't listen to that Greta girl.

2. The screen shot representing the video very conveniently does not show the largest button on that display which says, "NO TIP." I have never seen an option on one of these screens where "no tip" wasn't available and the most prominent of the choices.

3. That "tipping at the self service register" thing is a hoax. The screen they show in all the news stories is the Square platform tip screen and Square isn't self serve.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. The screen shot representing the video very conveniently does not show the largest button on that display which says, "NO TIP." I have never seen an option on one of these screens where "no tip" wasn't available and the most prominent of the choices.

3. That "tipping at the self service register" thing is a hoax. The screen they show in all the news stories is the Square platform tip screen and Square isn't self serve.
I see a lot of those screens and they normally start with 10% tip and go up 2 stages. I've been to many places where there is no "no tip" selection. It normally says "other", then you proceed to put "0"(zero) as the amount.

The shops I've been to where you order through a self serv Kiosk and not talk to ANYONE, after paying and going through the tip selection, it will ask how you want the receipt-by text, by email or by print. Not sure why you say it's a hoax. I've experienced it MANY times.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I look at tipping as a way to give to the people who are in lower/mid tier incomes that are actually working. Kind of like an offering/tithe donation.

These employees could easily be sitting at home with Uncle Joe taking care of them but they chose to work. In reality an extra dollar or so will not implant my life at all. Yet it will help theirs but they do have to earn it by at the minimum treating me as though I was a customer. Just my $00.02

Latest posts

Top Bottom