Tired

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be 70 this coming July, covid tried real hard to prevent that birthday back in August.
I was working getting paid by neighbors for working harvest, driving tractor, planting mung beans, putting up hay, etc before I was 12. Summer I turned 13, went to Boy Scout camp and it seemed lame to me after several summers doing it, I went home. Got hired on doing oilfield roustabout, spent much time with a shovel kr 24" Rigid pipe wrenvh in my hands. I worked over 25yrs oilpatch, got lucky, got hired by an environmental engineering federal contractor initially to work core drill rig, turned into project manager on huge projects. A company paid for degree from McCrone Research Institute in Chicago in environmentsl microscopy and started running a field lab and contractor supervision on federal projects all over the country.Cool job
Aneyrysm in 2010 in my left eye disqualified my microscope certifications, I started disability in 2012, I miss working at historical places like Ft Leavenworth, the good fishing around Ft Leonard Wood, hanging out watching heavy USAF planes do touch n go at Whiteman, lots of crazy times running jobs in remote New Mexico

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
After 61 years I'm worn out. I have had lot of fun in my life, been a lot of places , seen a lot of things. There are things I wish I'd done and thing's I wish I hadn't done can't change it and don't think I would change it if I could.
Now I'm growing old and outlived my usefulness, between injuries and illness I can't do the things I always enjoyed. I guess the cycle of life. Do the things you want to do in your life. Don't waste any of it you can't get it back.
Suck it up. You’ve still got 50 or 60 gun trades left in you.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is my situation body is worn out ,but still have to work for a living. probably have the physically easiest job I have ever had mentally it is draining.but it's the only job in my trade I can still do. 2 months ago actually came to blows with a 27 yo inmate ,he didn't whip me but I was running out of gas when they broke it up. started me thinking about where I am and what I'm doing

Yeah brother, you're just in the wrong line of business. A career change is in order. You're going to be so mentally worn out from those bad guys that you'll sour on everyone else on the planet. Maybe moving to security guard for a laid back area of town would be better? Or a hospital where you're around big hearted people? I know you still have to work, but have you got any skills besides guarding?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
High stress job.....EMS, LEO, FF and I would assume your line of work included, these folks lose testosterone a faster rate than usual. Older than 40y, high stress or performance job, go get your T checked. Lack of it effects your motivation, attitude, body and not just in the bedroom.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always had mentally demanding jobs. I've always said if I'd really been smart I would have just bucked hay my whole life. I won't say it gets better but you will get better at managing it. Believe it or not a little physical activity will do your mind wonders. Most important thing -- and it will take some time -- but teach yourself that when you walk out the door at work you don't think about it until you walk back in the next morning. Yeah ... I know ... It's a LOT harder than it sounds but practice makes perfect. Don't let the bastards wear ya down. 😘
^^^ Some GREAT advice here.
Mentally taxing jobs suck. Old timers used to say jobs like that leave you "mind tired" at the end of the day.
Sounds corny but it does help me to get sunlight (like walking outdoors) and drink lots of plain water, no soft drinks or alcohol. [Wind up walking to the bathroom a lot!]
And take care of yourself as you get older, it takes longer for anything (even a scratch or bruise) to heal than it did before.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah brother, you're just in the wrong line of business. A career change is in order. You're going to be so mentally worn out from those bad guys that you'll sour on everyone else on the planet. Maybe moving to security guard for a laid back area of town would be better? Or a hospital where you're around big hearted people? I know you still have to work, but have you got any skills besides guarding?
I'm not a guard ,I'm an HVAC instructor was a tech for 36 years then transitioned to teaching. I have 6 inmate employees and between 15 and 20 students at any given time

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a guard ,I'm an HVAC instructor was a tech for 36 years then transitioned to teaching. I have 6 inmate employees and between 15 and 20 students at any given time
What....The....Flippin' pancakes!
Literally everyone would love to have some instruction from you! Cover your mouth when you say it, but I've been erroring my way through HVAC DIY and refrigeration for the past 3-4 years in fits and starts. Kept my 20+ year old machine running fine when everyone around me is spending $10k for new systems every 5 years. Fixed my ice machines that kick out sonic ice, refrigerators, freezers, and now I'm fiddling with a slushy machine. My total cost? About $600 with parts left over. Heck, I'd like to kidnap you for an hour or two myself.
I bet if you just started a thread on "Spend an hour with an expert HVAC guy and save yourself some cash" you'd get all kinds of response from people dying to learn from you. You might even get some of that jailhouse yuck out of your head and add some pep in your step.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After 61 years I'm worn out. I have had lot of fun in my life, been a lot of places , seen a lot of things. There are things I wish I'd done and thing's I wish I hadn't done can't change it and don't think I would change it if I could.
Now I'm growing old and outlived my usefulness, between injuries and illness I can't do the things I always enjoyed. I guess the cycle of life. Do the things you want to do in your life. Don't waste any of it you can't get it back.
Been there, done that at a younger age than you. May have you vitamin d and b12 checked. That did wonders for my tiredness, attitude, and nothing at all for my injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFS

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there, done that at a younger age than you. May have you vitamin d and b12 checked. That did wonders for my tiredness, attitude, and nothing at all for my injuries.
^^Yes. I totally forgot to mention, everybody hates the fasting and blood work but OP might need to get a full physical if he hasn't had one lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom