Total Solar Eclipse - April 8th, 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://nso.edu/for-public/eclipse-map-2024/

1708754358520.png

1708754283017.png

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to the eclipse that passed through about 5 years ago. If in path of totality it is quite the natural event. To insure I would experience as anticipated I picked 3 separate locations in 3 separate directions. This was important, take a day off and drive 6-8 hours for a cloud covered bust would suck. I woke up early, watched the weather forecast and drove to Nebraska. A cool stop enroute I made was the Hornady Plant where I enjoyed a tour and bought a variety of fixes for my addiction. The eclipse is truly a magical event to experience. My plans are the same for this next eclipse. Oklahoma, Arkansas or Texass (please don't correct my spelling)? How else would a Sooner do it besides the triple option?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently being in the direct path is a big thing. We were in Honobia Ok this fall in SE Oklahoma that is in the direct path. People are dozing out pastures to allow RV's access and getting reservations of hundreds of dollars a night to park there with no electricity, no plumbing for water and no dump station.
Some of our friends in Tx are renting out their RV's in the area where it will be total eclipse for $1000 a night, and have takers.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last eclipse was during the summer. I remember because I was up inside the attic of a bank drive through overhead fixing the vacuum tube motor flaps. I came down with a slight case of heat stroke.

I saw my first partial eclipse in Kansas on May 10th, 1994. It was an annular eclipse which was special. Seeing the crescent-shaped shadows on cars and houses and even the leaves on the trees was a weird feeling. It lasted only for a few minutes. I never forgot that experience.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last April, I booked a VRBO in Texas for this April. It was a neat place. A fully furnished tee-pee on the shores of Lake Tawakoni east of Dallas, only about a mile off centerline. The owners emailed me last night that the “system” accidentally allowed me to overbook it, and that it wasn’t actually available. So less than 2 months out, I’m told I don’t have a reservation that I made 10 months ago. Now we’re staying at a Marriott in Dallas, which I was fortunate enough to find with hotel points. Very modest hotels are charging over $600/night along the eclipse path. Even the Beavers Bend State Park Lodge at Broken Bow is charging $530/night with a 5 night minimum. You have to select Thursday through Tuesday just to even see availability for rooms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom