Tractor time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
r

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with those things. They are deadly man-killers. My wife's brother was killed by one back in 1975, and he had used one for years.

I can't be off the tractor and use it. I haven't (and won't) disconnected my PTO kill switch in the seat. And I know enough to keep everyone away from it while it's in use, just like any other spinning piece of machinery.

My biggest worry is drilling it into the ground and not being able to pull it out.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't be off the tractor and use it. I haven't (and won't) disconnected my PTO kill switch in the seat. And I know enough to keep everyone away from it while it's in use, just like any other spinning piece of machinery.

My biggest worry is drilling it into the ground and not being able to pull it out.
I’ve run a PTO post hole digger, but I can’t say I’ve ever used a tractor with a PTO kill switch in the seat. Can’t say I’d have a use for a tractor with a PTO kill switch in the seat, either—there have been too many times I’ve needed to see and hear a piece of equipment running to diagnose a problem or to lubricate it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rototiller is the best implement I've ever bought. 2-5 acres 2x a year for the last 10 years. Lots of food plot, not so much garden.
20230530_202545.jpg

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rototiller is the best implement I've ever bought. 2-5 acres 2x a year for the last 10 years. Lots of food plot, not so much garden. View attachment 381369
In my short time owning a tractor I'd agree with this 100%. I was so close to buying a disc for my kubota but didn't want to spend the $1200 on a new one. I decided last fall to jsut rent a nice new tiller to prep my virgin ground food plots and it was incredible how well it worked. Picked it up Friday afternoon from the Sapulpa Kubota dealer and returned on Monday morning and cost me $100. My FIL who's disced food plots for the past 40 years was also very impressed with the tiller. Shocked, in fact. I just can't spend the coin on a newer one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rototiller is the best implement I've ever bought. 2-5 acres 2x a year for the last 10 years. Lots of food plot, not so much garden. View attachment 381369
Tillers are badass for putting in food plots. I found a 6', three point chisel that really tears up the ground quickly a few years ago, then follow up with the tiller to make a seed bed.
I need to get that chisel on my food plot. Evidently there was some Johnson grass in the wheat seed I bought last year. It's not gone to seed yet so some aggressive work with the chisel might kill the rhizomes before they get too big.. It did go to seed last year while we were gone, so I'll have to work through that problem.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve run a PTO post hole digger, but I can’t say I’ve ever used a tractor with a PTO kill switch in the seat. Can’t say I’d have a use for a tractor with a PTO kill switch in the seat, either—there have been too many times I’ve needed to see and hear a piece of equipment running to diagnose a problem or to lubricate it.

The newer ones (for at least the last 10 years...maybe longer) all have them. Lots of people disconnect them. I will, too, once the warranty runs out. But JD will void your warranty if you do it while the tractor is still warranted.

Edited to add: I'm going on a road trip Thurs to pick up a new (to me) Ford 4000 up in SE Kansas. I bet that thing doesn't have any seat safety disconnect switches.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rototiller is the best implement I've ever bought. 2-5 acres 2x a year for the last 10 years. Lots of food plot, not so much garden.

That's definitely on the list. I did our 60x40 garden with a walk-behind tiller this year over ground covered with thick Johnson grass. Never again. It about beat me to death. Of course, it'll be easier next year, but we're also planning to expand the plot. Definitely need a tiller.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
r

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with those things. They are deadly man-killers. My wife's brother was killed by one back in 1975, and he had used one for years.
Can you fill us in with the details on how he got killed?
Some I talk to remove every safety item on the PTO drive shafts as soon as they get them.
They do get in the way sometimes but another buddy with only one arm, had a thread on his jacket get hooked on the drive shaft and pulled him in to rip his arm off at the shoulder tells me the guards are there for a reason.
Personally, when hooking up the PTO shaft, the tractor is turned off and the pto is put in neutral. Don't get near that thing when the tractor is running. I don't want to experience the horror of that happening like my friend.
I've met another farmer with one arm that tried to unjam a square bailer. When he cleared the jam, the wire caught him and tore the arm off. PTO still on.
Speaking of danger, a farmer was disking a field in Grant County a couple years ago when for whatever reason he fell out of the cab of the tractor. The tandem disk behind chewed him up pretty good after the tractor tire ran over him.
Farming is one of the most dangerous occupations out there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Can you fill us in with the details on how he got killed?
Some I talk to remove every safety item on the PTO drive shafts as soon as they get them.
They do get in the way sometimes but another buddy with only one arm, had a thread on his jacket get hooked on the drive shaft and pulled him in to rip his arm off at the shoulder tells me the guards are there for a reason.
Personally, when hooking up the PTO shaft, the tractor is turned off and the pto is put in neutral. Don't get near that thing when the tractor is running. I don't want to experience the horror of that happening like my friend.
I've met another farmer with one arm that tried to unjam a square bailer. When he cleared the jam, the wire caught him and tore the arm off. PTO still on.
Speaking of danger, a farmer was disking a field in Grant County a couple years ago when for whatever reason he fell out of the cab of the tractor. The tandem disk behind chewed him up pretty good after the tractor tire ran over him.
Farming is one of the most dangerous occupations out there.
Pretty sure alcohol was involved with that one that fell out.

The one near Wakita a few years ago the guy had bad wiring or something on his tractor and jumped across the solenoid or starter with a screwdriver and it started but was in gear. He got out of the way, and then tried to used the back end of his flatbed to slow it down to stall it out. That didn't work so he got in front of it and waited for it and was going to step on the ladder and get in and get control of it. He missed the step or something, lost his balance and fell and it ran over him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom