Tried oil painting, LOL so much easier when Bob Ross is helping you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother taught herself to paint with oil painting. She always took blue ribbons at the county fair, and when her and Dad divorced, she had no job training to speak of, so she switched over to teaching others to paint. Even in Cimarron County, she managed to get as many as 65 students per week from a three state area. I like to tell folks that I learned the art of composing a photo from being raised at the knee of an artist.

So, lets also see your landscape. You show a good bit of promise. Oh, and I have no idea who Bob Ross is.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother taught herself to paint with oil painting. She always took blue ribbons at the county fair, and when her and Dad divorced, she had no job training to speak of, so she switched over to teaching others to paint. Even in Cimarron County, she managed to get as many as 65 students per week from a three state area. I like to tell folks that I learned the art of composing a photo from being raised at the knee of an artist.

So, lets also see your landscape. You show a good bit of promise. Oh, and I have no idea who Bob Ross is.

Here you go. Forgive the poor cell phone photo. I added a zombie into my landscape. LOL I just can't take things too seriously. I had trouble getting the paint to stick towards the end. So I could not get any detail into the bushes on the front left side over the water. O well first painting ever.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure that's a zombie? It looks more like Bigfoot. I like how the bushes come out of the painting onto the easel, too. :D

Don't sell yourself short--those are both pretty good. They're a damn sight better than some of the stuff I've seen hanging on museum walls...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to go along with Sooner on this one. That definitely shows good promise, so don't sell yourself short. Just keep working at it. I'll also have to go with Bigfoot verses a Zombie, but next time, make people work for it and hide him somewhat back in the trees and shrubbery. Also, start taking yourself seriously with your painting.

I remember following another guy that painted, using acrylic paint, and would post photos of his painting on his web blog. We kind of struck up a friendship with me having a mother that painted and doing photography myself. His paintings were more "abstract" if you will, but still showed his subjects in a basic form. After posting pictures of one of his photos, I asked him what kind of animal it was in the lower part of his trees. He couldn't find the animal and hadn't intended for one to be there, so he asked to show him what I saw. I posted back with photos having arrows pointing to legs, head, ears, etc. The next thing I knew, he posted photos of the same painting, but he had gone back in and redone it so no animal showed. I thought he actually had a better painting with the "almost" invisible animal, but he couldn't stand it.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, It looks like a Squach for sure. I know its a zombie though. At that point the paint was barely sticking so I made due. I do enjoy it so i'll do it from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom