Un****ing believable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm curious if anyone know what evidence was presented. To win a slander case, especially against a public figure, has some pretty high standards. Typically involving lying.

I don't have a clue about this case, or if ventura argued he wasn't a public figure in this case, but it does seem like there'd have to be some evidence to support his position that hasn't been presented here.

I don't see how he could have argued successfully he's not a public figure.

The dude is literally Bozo the Clown.

It takes a lot to win a slander against a clown with a household name. Harder to do than it ever was. Why are people pretending it's easier?

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahem...

For those that shan't be bothered with performing the simplest of internet searches, I'll copy & paste a few bullet points for you:

"Although verdicts in such cases are customarily unanimous, both sides agreed to a split verdict."

"A higher legal standard is required for a public figure to prove defamation. To meet the higher standard and prove actual malice in such cases, lawyers need to show, for instance, that an author knew that what he was writing was false, legal experts said."

"During two weeks of testimony in a federal courtroom in St. Paul, jurors heard a videotaped deposition from Mr. Kyle, who defended his writings as accurate."

"the jurors heard from witnesses with varying memories of one evening in a California bar in 2006 – the scene from the book that Mr. Ventura contended was false."

"In his deposition, Mr. Kyle said Mr. Ventura had indeed made such comments, and that Mr. Kyle had ended the conversation by punching Mr. Ventura as he described in the book. Several witnesses for Mr. Kyle said that they had overheard the former governor’s negative comments or had seen him on the ground following an altercation, while witnesses for Mr. Ventura said they saw no such confrontation that night."

"Mr. Ventura was not named in the book," "But Mr. Kyle said during media interviews after the book’s release that he was referring to Mr. Ventura."

"Mr. Kyle died in a shooting in Texas last year after the book had been published and after Mr. Ventura filed suit. Mr. Ventura continued the lawsuit at that point, pursuing the executor of Mr. Kyle’s estate, his widow, Taya. That irked some members of the military, Ms. Kyle’s lawyers said, who thought Mr. Ventura was pushing the case too far."

"All along, Mr. Ventura has said that his lawsuit is not about money. He said he never would have gone to court had Mr. Kyle admitted in public that he made up the story of the bar fight. Mr. Ventura said he really just wanted an apology and to clear his name. When that did not happen, he told jurors, he felt he was left with no other choice but to sue."

For me, it's just kinda hard to imagine a cool cat like Mr. Kyle fabricating such a tale.
Whether it's true or not, the verdict has been read and an American hero is still dead and a douche is still a douche - but he's $1.8 million dollars richer now...

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Cui bono" - Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla

Ventura will loose the appeal - either way more book sales, more movie ticket sales, more DVD sales ....

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is NOT being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahem...

For those that shan't be bothered with performing the simplest of internet searches, I'll copy & paste a few bullet points for you:

"Although verdicts in such cases are customarily unanimous, both sides agreed to a split verdict."

"A higher legal standard is required for a public figure to prove defamation. To meet the higher standard and prove actual malice in such cases, lawyers need to show, for instance, that an author knew that what he was writing was false, legal experts said."

"During two weeks of testimony in a federal courtroom in St. Paul, jurors heard a videotaped deposition from Mr. Kyle, who defended his writings as accurate."

"the jurors heard from witnesses with varying memories of one evening in a California bar in 2006 – the scene from the book that Mr. Ventura contended was false."

"In his deposition, Mr. Kyle said Mr. Ventura had indeed made such comments, and that Mr. Kyle had ended the conversation by punching Mr. Ventura as he described in the book. Several witnesses for Mr. Kyle said that they had overheard the former governor’s negative comments or had seen him on the ground following an altercation, while witnesses for Mr. Ventura said they saw no such confrontation that night."

"Mr. Ventura was not named in the book," "But Mr. Kyle said during media interviews after the book’s release that he was referring to Mr. Ventura."

"Mr. Kyle died in a shooting in Texas last year after the book had been published and after Mr. Ventura filed suit. Mr. Ventura continued the lawsuit at that point, pursuing the executor of Mr. Kyle’s estate, his widow, Taya. That irked some members of the military, Ms. Kyle’s lawyers said, who thought Mr. Ventura was pushing the case too far."

"All along, Mr. Ventura has said that his lawsuit is not about money. He said he never would have gone to court had Mr. Kyle admitted in public that he made up the story of the bar fight. Mr. Ventura said he really just wanted an apology and to clear his name. When that did not happen, he told jurors, he felt he was left with no other choice but to sue."

For me, it's just kinda hard to imagine a cool cat like Mr. Kyle fabricating such a tale.
Whether it's true or not, the verdict has been read and an American hero is still dead and a douche is still a douche - but he's $1.8 million dollars richer now...
Ventura will probably never see that money. Kyle was a cool cat? Everybody there that night thinks otherwise. People who were there that night think Kyle was a liar. Not a big deal. I wasn't there that night. I won't make inappropriate comments about the dead.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lance Armstrong was also considered by many to be a cool cat who wrote a book filled with truth. Until he wasn't. I'm not attacking mr Kyle, but to assume everything he said as truth is a stretch.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From reading some stories it sounds like the publishers were pushing the Ventura angle, there is a story I'll have to find it where Kyle says he doesn't want to talk about Ventura anymore but publishers kept pushing it.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lance Armstrong was also considered by many to be a cool cat who wrote a book filled with truth. Until he wasn't. I'm not attacking mr Kyle, but to assume everything he said as truth is a stretch.
Touché.
Ventura will probably never see that money. Kyle was a cool cat? Everybody there that night thinks otherwise. People who were there that night think Kyle was a liar. Not a big deal. I wasn't there that night. I won't make inappropriate comments about the dead.
Douché.
HAHAHA!
J/k, but seriously - Apparently, not everybody there that night thinks otherwise. Apparently, there were people there that night that do not think of Kyle as a liar.
Here, I'll quote again from the linked article:
"Several witnesses for Mr. Kyle said that they had overheard the former governor’s negative comments or had seen him on the ground following an altercation"
I wasn't there that night either. But I'll tell ya this much...If I were to subject myself to liable and slander in an effort to sell more books - I would have picked just about anybody else over Jessie Ventura to lie about dotting his eye.
Chuck Norris better look out if I decide that I need to sell some books....Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom