University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What?!?!!? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I raised three boys. By myself. There is nothing wrong with a man being a man. Yes, I said to them more times than I can count "stop acting like a damned girl". Why? Because they were acting like damned girls. So I'm a misogynist I guess. I taught them to treat women with respect. Open doors. Say "Yes, ma'am" and "no, ma'am" and keep their damned hands (and other body parts to themselves) unless they were damned sure yes meant yes and not well maybe because I'm drunk and you are putting pressure on me or because I'm afraid if I don't say yes you are gonna beat me and take it anyway. So that makes me a feminist I guess.

Man, I gots me some ****ed up kids. They stand on their own 2 feet, make their way in this world owing no man or woman nothing, all with good women by their sides. I can sleep good at night knowing my grandchildren are being cared for and taught right. What more can an old woman want for? I'll tell ya what. To die quietly in her sleep. That's what. That's all. Not a damned thing else I want for in this world.
I think what they're getting at is things like PTSD sufferers historically being told to "Man UP" and that men dont talk about their problems.

You cant even begin to heal from PTSD until you're willing to talk about it.

The one I liked was men need to be the bread winner. I was a NCO and the Wife was an Officer. So no chance of me being the bread winner. I'm good with that :D

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what they're getting at is things like PTSD sufferers historically being told to "Man UP" and that men dont talk about their problems.

You cant even begin to heal from PTSD until you're willing to talk about it.

The one I liked was men need to be the bread winner. I was a NCO and the Wife was an Officer. So no chance of me being the bread winner. I'm good with that :D

Oh, I know. I cannot tell you how many times I heard my boys were gonna grow up to be gay (like that was something horrible), felons (okay, not really my first career choice for them lol), scarred (they are scarred alright but it has nothing to do with me being a single mom, just ask them haha!), blah blah blah ...

Guess my point was we ALL have something unconventional in our lives. Some of us choose to embrace those unconventional things and work with them. Some of us choose to pretend they don't exist and chastise the rest of the world every chance we get for not being perfect like us. :hey3: (Yeah, YOU know who you are, you bastards! :Heya: LOL) I'm good with not being perfect. I tried it (being perfect) for a while. The stress was unbearable. Only time in my life I seriously thought being an alcoholic might actually be a viable life choice. :drunk5:

I know what you mean about talking about your problems and PTSD. I have talked a lot here about problems I've had growing up. Couple of things I've never talked about. I'll take those things to my grave. Some things talking about won't fix. And don't want to fix them, even if I could. If that wound stays fresh and hot, I don't have to worry about ever letting my guard down and having hit like that again.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll tell ya what. To die quietly in her sleep. That's what. That's all. Not a damned thing else I want for in this world.

What about kicking off while screaming “Yes yes YESSSSSS” as you engage in carnal activities with your SO?

I’m disappointed in you, Ms. Post 12.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about kicking off while screaming “Yes yes YESSSSSS” as you engage in carnal activities with your SO?

I’m disappointed in you, Ms. Post 12.

I'm gonna blame it on the fact that every time I turn around anymore I'm banging myself up -- and NOT in a good way :bah: -- JHFC I have turned into a surgery looking for a place to happen. :faint:Tell ya what's fixing to happen. I'm fixing to just stop going to doctors altogether and just sit on the patio and drink and pet my dogs. :disappoin:werd:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I know. I cannot tell you how many times I heard my boys were gonna grow up to be gay (like that was something horrible), felons (okay, not really my first career choice for them lol), scarred (they are scarred alright but it has nothing to do with me being a single mom, just ask them haha!), blah blah blah ...

Guess my point was we ALL have something unconventional in our lives. Some of us choose to embrace those unconventional things and work with them. Some of us choose to pretend they don't exist and chastise the rest of the world every chance we get for not being perfect like us. :hey3: (Yeah, YOU know who you are, you bastards! :Heya: LOL) I'm good with not being perfect. I tried it (being perfect) for a while. The stress was unbearable. Only time in my life I seriously thought being an alcoholic might actually be a viable life choice. :drunk5:

I know what you mean about talking about your problems and PTSD. I have talked a lot here about problems I've had growing up. Couple of things I've never talked about. I'll take those things to my grave. Some things talking about won't fix. And don't want to fix them, even if I could. If that wound stays fresh and hot, I don't have to worry about ever letting my guard down and having hit like that again.
Yeah that why I said I can see where its coming from and can also see people going way overboard with it

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna blame it on the fact that every time I turn around anymore I'm banging myself up -- and NOT in a good way :bah: -- JHFC I have turned into a surgery looking for a place to happen. :faint:Tell ya what's fixing to happen. I'm fixing to just stop going to doctors altogether and just sit on the patio and drink and pet my dogs. :disappoin:werd:

I can see that happening for about 20 minutes!! Then boredom will set in and you will be looking for some trouble to stir up!!:cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom