Want to Learn: Home Cooking and Meal Prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d disagree with your last point a little. Learning some basic principles about cooking, temps, chemistry will allow one far greater success with a variety of meals. Understanding concepts and why certain methods make food palatable let you cook up decent meals with a wider variety of ingredients.

This is why I love ATK so much. They teach you WHY a technique or recipe works and also how things can go wrong, so you know what NOT to do, also.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d disagree with your last point a little. Learning some basic principles about cooking, temps, chemistry will allow one far greater success with a variety of meals. Understanding concepts and why certain methods make food palatable let you cook up decent meals with a wider variety of ingredients.
Point taken, an understanding of the basics is certainly important but that really isn’t what I had in mind when I made the statement. I was really thinking more along the lines of how certain flavors/ingredients/chemicals interact with specific receptors on our tongue. Along the same lines I don’t really need to understand how a computer works ie bits and bytes I just know that it does and I know how to use it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Baking stuff in a dutch oven is a good way to cook
Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube does 90% of his cooking in a Dutch oven. It’s done outside the old way but the same can be done in an oven.
Sam the cooking guy on YouTube has hundreds of recipes that he cooks right in front of you from scratch. The bierra tacos and burritos are to die for.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I learned to cook by helping mom in the kitchen. I was always hungry and thought if I helped her, dinner would be on the table faster lol.
Thus I learned alot too.
I still cant make good gravy from scratch though.
Gravy is a roux, one of the mother sauces from which many others are derived.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An easy gravy consists of Golden Mushroom soup, chicken stock, and cornstarch mixed into a small amount of water (premixing eliminated clumping). Heat the soup and chicken stock to a low simmer and stir in the cornstarch slurry until you get the desired thickness.

Sorry, I don't measure things when I cook. The only exception is baking bread and such.

Best of luck on your culinary journey!!

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crockpot, InstaPot and Airfryer. Use the KISS system.
I have all 3.. i only know how to heat dino nuggies in the air fryer. the instant pot terrifies me because .. boom. and crockpot means starting it and leaving it when not home.. and no.. i dont like fire hazards like that.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my house it’s the opposite! We rarely eat out and we cook at home all the time. Having 3 kids eating out with the family costs a fortune nowadays, damn bidenflation lol

A few more good cooking YouTube channels to check out:

Joshua Weismann

Adam Ragusia

Jamey Oliver stuff
———————————————

Wife and I love to start the crockpot in the morning before leaving for work and come home to dinner ready. Works great with chilli, soups, pot roast/potato/carrot, bbq boneless ribs, corned beef and cabbage, etc… I wouldn’t worry about fire hazard, they’re literally designed for this sort of thing

My wife is half Indonesian so we also do lots of curries, fried rice/fried noodle type dishes. Easy, fast, and taste awesome

Don’t fear the instant pot either! Great tool and we use ours all the time. A curry that would take 2 hours on stovetop is ready in like 30-40mins in the instant pot

YouTube really is a great resource for learning how to cook though. I hope y’all find the joy in cooking!!! You’ll probably start feeling better too. So much healthier to eat at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom