Warning scam artist!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday I was shooting a USPSA pistol match at our range in Ponca. My phone rang with a number from Bethany that I thought I recognized.
Nope, turned out to be some lady trying to sell me some time share at a resort. She talked non-stop until the guy in rotation started his round. BANG!, BANG!, BANG! one right after another on a 30 round stage. She stopped talking and asked what was going on?
I hollered into the phone that I was in the middle of a gunfight and couldn't talk now. All I could hear was her screaming OMG!, OMG! over and over, then I hung up the phone.
Sure would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in her office after that!

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday I was shooting a USPSA pistol match at our range in Ponca. My phone rang with a number from Bethany that I thought I recognized.
Nope, turned out to be some lady trying to sell me some time share at a resort. She talked non-stop until the guy in rotation started his round. BANG!, BANG!, BANG! one right after another on a 30 round stage. She stopped talking and asked what was going on?
I hollered into the phone that I was in the middle of a gunfight and couldn't talk now. All I could hear was her screaming OMG!, OMG! over and over, then I hung up the phone.
Sure would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in her office after that!
That's freaking hilarious

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years back there was a thread like this. One of the posters there said they would tell them their name was John Q. Law and gave them the address for the local FBI office to mail the check/money order.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I see a number I don't know, I answer the phone this way, "Investigative Services Agency, Telephone Fraud Division. How may I direct your call?" They usually hang up after that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
They've gotten now where they will use an automated system until it registers a voice and then it connects to a real person. Wastes less of their time that way on hang ups. So if I hear an automated system I will wait until there's a real person and they start talking, then hang up on them.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For years, scam offers that gets through Google's spam filter I answer. I tell them I'm a poor sailor in the U.S. SeaOrg stationed in Clearwater Florida. I give them the phone number and address for Scientology.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like this? I had an antique chair on craigslist for $200. He is the check he sent, sight unseen. Wants me to deposit the check and wire the funds to the guy going to pick it up. When the bank tells me the cashiers check is no good in a couple of days, I would be on the hook for the money..... I love messing with them. Make them spend money and time on me may save some old lady somewhere else. I don't use my right name and I have it sent to an empty house I'm working on.
Hilarious,..did you notice the return name is Brandon Stark?

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had that happen to me a few years back. The check that came was sent from an Ohio address. The company name on the check was somewhere out of Florida. If memory serves me right the post office that processed it was in a completely unrelated state.

I recently reposted the bikes I'm trying to sell. i received two identical text messages stating they were interested. When I texted them back the scam began. They quit responding when I told them to send the check to one of the places I work. Apparently they weren't interested in sending the check to the Sheriff's Office.

I may have to try what tranger2 did. That sounds like fun. No way I'd be lucky enough to catch a call like Dennis had while running code on a call. "Sir, what is that sound. I'm running from the cops so lets make this quick."

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Many phone scams lately have come from these area codes. The one's in the +1 country codes make money by keeping you on the phone while you get charged for the call. The longer you're on, the more money they make.

Do not answer calls or texts from these area codes

Here are the current international area codes within the +1 country code:
242- Bahamas

441 - Bermuda

784 - St. Vincent & Grenadines

246 - Barbados

473 - Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique

809, 829, and 849 - Dominican Republic

264 - Anguilla

649 - Turks and Caicos

868 - Trinidad and Tobago

268 - Antigua

664 - Montserrat

876 - Jamaica

284 - British Virgin Islands

721 - Sint Maarten

758 - St Lucia

869 - St. Kitts & Nevis

345 - Cayman Islands

767 – Dominica

Here are the US Territories' area codes (listed by territory):

American Samoa: 684

Guam: 671

Northern Mariana Islands: 670

Puerto Rico: 787 and 939

US Virgin Islands: 340

Here are the Canadian area codes (listed by province):

Alberta: 403, 587, and 780

British Columbia: 236, 250, 604, and 778

Manitoba: 204 and 431

New Brunswick: 506

Newfoundland: 709 (879 is being added in 2018)

Northwest Territories: 867

Nova Scotia: 902

Nunavut: 867

Ontario: 226 , 249, 289, 343, 365, 416, 437, 519, 613, 647, 705, 807, and 905

Quebec: 418, 438, 450, 514, 579, 581, 819, and 873

Saskatchewan: 306 and 639

Yukon: 867

Nationwide: 600 (and possibly 622, 633, 644, 655, 677 and 688).

US/Canada Numbers to Beware:

Area code: 900

Latest posts

Top Bottom